[amibroker] Ticker Symbol Mismatch between yahoo and edgar - ZVXI or ZVX

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Ticker Symbol Mismatch between yahoo and edgar - ZVXI or ZVX
  • From: "Shanmugham, Saravanan" <sarvi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:43:57 -0700

Hi,
     When writing my automated scripts to download EDGAR filing information for stocks in Amibroker,
I ran into a problem. Yahoo seems to refer to ZEVEX International as ZVXI, while EDGAR seems to be refering to it as a ZVX.

And I realize this problem not unique. Because I have a script which went to edgar to scrap ticker symbol to EDGAR company Name and CIK mapping information. I understan a symbol some times maps to multiple company names(possibly because they changed over time, or ticker symbol got reassiged when they get freed due to bankruptcy or acquisition).
When the script was done, I realized that the mapping database had only 4000 symbols mapped to one or moe company names, while my total ticker symbol list exported from amibroker for the entire US symbol list is around 7000.

So I suspect what I found happenning for ZVXI is also happennning for other symbols as well(I don't have a specific list, but close to 300 of them).

My understanding so far has been that each company has a single unique ticker symbol ad unique CIK.  Of which ticker symbols can change hands, but the CIK remains across the life of the company.

Is that not the case?

How can I find out all the alternative ticker symbols, if any, currently associated with a listed company.

Or in other words, how do I resolve this issue. I want to be able reliablly map from a Ticker Symbol to a CIK or company name string so that can scrap fundamental data from the EDGAR.

thanks,
Sarvi

Sarvi Shanmugham
Technical Leader