Re: [amibroker] Re: FW: Interactive Broker TWS Feed

Hello,

Just one short comment - all real-time data sources work on "ON-DEMAND"
basis, it means that you need to demand (request) data to get them.
This is just how they work (or even force applications using them to work).
It is strictly forbidden by many APIs to run bulk automated downloads of lots
of data as it would bring their servers to knees.

That's why you need to perform some action (chart/scan/explore/backtest/optimization) to actually
"request" the data. And "scan" is not any special, it is just one of many actions that
request data.

Also this "saving to database' is not an issue at all for all "mature" APIs like for example eSignal
that allow
a) multiple backfills running in parallel
b) long backfills (120 days)

as it does not matter if you save the data today or week after. The plugin architecture and behaviour
of RT features in AmiBroker were designed to be used with "mature" APIs.

IB is very special because
a) allows only 1 backfill at a time
b) backfill is limited

and that's why it causes problems because
a) you have to prevent from running multiple backfills and as such you may eventually not be able
to backfill every accessed symbol (just because previous backfill is still running)
b) you can not postpone backfills (because of limited length)

So it is not that "RT functionality is new in AmiBroker". It is rather than Interactive Brokers' TWS API
backfill functionality is "very new, incomplete, limited and ..."

Remember, IB is a broker, not data vendor. They have added "backfill feature" just recently and it is still
far from "mature API".

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com