[amibroker] Re: Short system advice?

ChrisB,

No problemo. Do what you can and get back to me later.

Basically, I am talking about building an include (modular code)
that weights buy/sell signals according to a percentage (of all
available signals), rather than a static number. I haven't thought
it out too much, but this seems like something many system
developers would want, so if I build it -- it goes in the AFL
library -- where the others can pick on my code and clean it up for
me ;-) I'm a data guru more than a programmer these days.

Thanks,

Brian

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kris45mar <kris45mar@xxx> wrote:

> Brian
>
>   You've lost me, I'm afraid. This is clearly way ahead of where I
would  hope to be with AFL and system design, even some time from
now, but the  ideas are intriguing.

>   Regards.
>
>   ChrisB
>
> Brian <brianrichard99@xxx> wrote:          So far it looks like I
will be weighting signals based on 1) how
>   consistently leading the indicator is, and 2) various ratios
used to
>   identify profitability during the optimization process.
Currently my
> [...]
>   then come out as percentages instead of integers, that way.
>
>   If you come up with a better weighting method please send me an
>   email at brian (at) brianrichard (dot) com.
>
>   Thanks!
>
>   Brian
>

>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kris45mar <kris45mar@> wrote:
>   >
>   > Brian
>   >
>   >   Good feedback, thanks.
>   >
>   >   Yes "feeler trades" is basically where I am at at the
moment.
>   Keep probing the market, if good, add more, if bad, too bad.
>   >
>   >   A recent presentation in Perth by a systems developer (who
sells
>   his  signals commercially so I am not interested: I am too pig
>   headed for  this I suppose) is based on this principle. He runs
10
>   systems over the  top 30 US stocks. If on any day there are 7 or
>   more buy signals from  the individual systems, this is his buy
>   recommendation. Sort of a  weight of evidence theory. Seems
based on
>   sound statistics, thousands  of trades in his stats, stop and
>   reverse system, in and out of sample  testing with smooth equity
>   curve and manageable drawdowns. EOD only and  entry/exit on open.
>   >
>   >   Similar I guess to what you are doing by weighting your
signals.
>   This may ultimately where I am headed.
>   >
>   >   Sounds like I have more coding to learn: half the fun,
though.
>   >
>   >   Regards
>   >
>   >   ChrisB
>   >
>   > Brian <brianrichard99@> wrote:          ChrisB,
>   >
>   >   I just completed another "system" that's comprised of about
15
>   >   different proprietary indicators, all of them optimized for
both
>   EOD
>   >   and Weekly timeframes, as well as for a specific group of
500
>   >   stocks, ETFs and CEFs. I used to look at just two or three
>   >   indicators (a "system"), but found each indicator has its
unique
>   >   weakness. So now I just go with looking at all of the
signals
>   that
>   >   all of my best indicators generate. I weight each signal. I
also
>   >   look at signals that are up to 3 bars old, and weight those
>   signals
>   >   less.
>   >
>   >   I will eventually try to automate all of this optimization.
Not
>   >   there yet.
>   >
>   >   I also separated out trending signals from daily buy/sell
>   signals,
>   >   so I really have a separate trend system as well.
>   >
>   >   I've read more than once, from reading passages written by
very
>   >   profitable traders, that their systems generally take the
same
>   form
>   >   as the one I've created. Very few boil everything down to
one
>   type
>   >   of trade that they do over and over. Problem with those
single
>   setup
>   >   trades is you still need to look at all important variables
>   outside
>   >   of the setup that can affect the setup. A mentor statistican
>   friend
>   >   of mine recommended I build in an additional "trade
>   cancellation"
>   >   system that lets me know when outside variables are building
>   against
>   >   the system signal. This helps me sort the best trades out
from
>   the
>   >   bunch.
>   >
>   >   I am using no equity curve. IMO that would just seem to add
>   another
>   >   layer of unnecessary complexity. Focus on money management --

>   >   scaling and scaling out, user "feeler" trades, etc. That
will
>   likely
>   >   get you farther down the road. My personal goal is to use my
>   system
>   >   to identify good trades for my discretionary style of
trading.
>   >
>   >   Just my toe scents.
>   >
>   >   ~Brian
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kris45mar <kris45mar@>
wrote:
>   >   >
>   >   > Phew, Yuki.
>   >   >
>   >   >   Honoured to humbled to receive your lengthy reply.
Please be
>   >   warned:  this inspirational, supportive ( and midly
cajoling )
>   reply
>   >   ( thank  you! ) may be  transferred into my "Yuki says"
>   handbook!
>   >   Everything you say strikes a resonant note though, and is
taken
>   in
>   >   good  spirit.
>   >   >
>   >   >   I have 25% DD with 4 wins out of the last 30
discretionary
> [...]
>   >   >   Looking through my last two years' trades tells me that
what
>   >   worked in  2004 is not working in 2005/6. This brings me to
the
>   >   point in my 2005  trading plan where I defined conditions to
>   stop
>   >   trading. I now need a  change of direction: the plan is to
>   continue
>   >   to explore AB, AFL and the  superb posts on this board
towards
>   >   developing a mechanical system. It  can't be that hard for
me to
>   >   develope one that does better than my 2005  trading year.
>   Whether I
>   >   can then actually trade it is a whole different  ball game.
>   >   >
>   >   >   You said:
>   >   >
>   >   >   "
>   >   >   And thank goodness not everyone can do this.  We need
some
>   >   productive
>   >   >   members of society, too.  ^_-
>   >   >   "
>   >   >
>   >   >   LOL.... and yet the lesson we learn about ourselves by
>   trading
>   >   can make us more productive in other areas!
>   >   >
>   >   >   In summary:
>   >   >
>   >   >   You will never avoid drawdowns: agreed.
>   >   >   Sharper gains (with a reliable system) may come when the
>   equity
>   >   curve is below its MA. Sounds logical, and worth exploring.
>   >   >
>   >   >   All I am asking is this:
>   >   >
>   >   >   Markets change over time (that is why there is no Holy
>   Grail)
>   >   and so  should our systems, or the ones we choose to trade
with,
>   not
>   >   respond to  this? Or we may choose to stand aside for a
while.
>   Or
>   >   just trade  different markets with concurrently different
>   systems to
>   >   create a  smoother equity curve overall?
>   >   >
>   >   >   Could you comment on whether you trade with one system
only
>   or
>   >   more  than one? And if more than one, what would be a
trigger to
>   >   change if  the Equity curve is not the signal to do so?
>   Drawdowns?
>   >   Sleepless  nights? Declining expectancy? This has to part of
our
>   >   business plan  after all. In 2004 I achieved my trading
goals,
>   2005
>   >   was not a  successful one. Message: time to stop doing what
I am
> [...]
>   >   >   want to "play" your system a little bit, consider
something
>   like
>   >   >   *lightening* position size -- slightly -- when equity
has
>   been
>   >   >   running above average for some period of time, and
>   *increasing*
>   >   it
>   >   >   ... again, slightly ... when equity has been running
below
>   the
>   >   line
>   >   >   for some time.  You have to judge when these conditions
>   might
>   >   apply
>   >   >   after carefully analyzing your system yourself.
>   >   >
>   >   >   But using the MA of equity to flatly refuse or take
signals
>   is
>   >   simply
>   >   >   a different form of "Holy Grailism".  It is a fear of
taking
>   >   losers,
>   >   >   or an attempt to altogether avoid taking losers, which
>   absolutely
>   >   >   must be taken in any systematic trading. You simply have
>   have
>   >   a
>   >   >   system in which you can *stand* to take the losers, and
be
>   >   >   comfortable with them.  If you don't, you can't trade
it,
>   and
>   >   playing
>   >   >   around using the equity curve as an ultimate filter is
not
>   >   likely to
>   >   >   made a dangerous system safe, or an uncomfortable system
>   >   comfortable.
>   >   >
>   >   >   You will never, ever, find a system that has an equity
curve
>   that
>   >   >   doesn't dance on both sides of a MA.  Life doesn't work
that
>   >   way. But
>   >   >   if the curve is obviously solid, in other words, a real
>   curve or
>   >   >   slope, and not an amusement park thrill ride, and all
the
>   metrics
>   >   >   look nice over thousands of trades and many years, you
may
>   want
>   >   >   think about doing exactly the opposite of what your gut
>   tells you
>   >   >   when you hit a soft patch.
>   >   >
>   >   >   OTOH, if the last sentence above applies ... why stress
>   yourself
>   >   at
>   >   >   all?  Take the *&$% signals as they come, and relax.
^_^
>   If you
>   >   >   cannot stand a loss the magnitude of which would tell
you
>   that,
>   >   >   indeed, your system is no longer functioning, you are
>   probably
>   >   not
>   >   >   well enough capitalized to be in this business.  Not
>   everybody
>   >   is.
>   >   >   And thank goodness not everyone can do this.  We need
some
>   >   productive
>   >   >   members of society, too.  ^_-
>   >   >
>   >   >   Yuki
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >     Please note that this group is for discussion between
>   users
>   >   only.
>   >   >
>   >   >   To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail
directly
>   >   >   SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>   >   >
>   >   >   For other support material please check also:
>   >   >   http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
> >  >
>   >   >
> >  >
>   Investment
> >    management
software
>   Real
>   >   estate investment
> software
>   >   Investment property
>   >

software

>   >                Software
> >  support                                            Real estate
>   >   investment analysis
>   >    software
Investment
>   >

software

>   >
>   >   >
>   >   > ---------------------------------
>   >   >     YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >     Visit your group "amibroker" on the web.
>   >   >
>   >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>   >   >
>   >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms
>   of
>   >   Service.
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   > ---------------------------------
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   > ---------------------------------
>   >   >  Yahoo! Mail
>   >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying
attachments.
>   >   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >     Please note that this group is for discussion between
users
>   only.
>   >
>   >   To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly
>   >   SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>   >
>   >   For other support material please check also:
>   >   http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
>   >
>   >
>   >

>   >

Investment
>   management  software
Real
>   estate investment
software
>   Investment property

software

>                Software
> support                                           Real estate
>   investment analysis
>   software                                           Investment

software

>   >
>   > ---------------------------------
>   >     YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>   >
>   >
>   >     Visit your group "amibroker" on the web.
>   >
>   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>   >
>   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of
>   Service.
>   >
>   >
>   > ---------------------------------
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > ---------------------------------
>   > Yahoo! Mail
>   > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail  makes sharing a breeze.
>   >

>     Please note that this group is for discussion between users
only.

>   To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly to
>   SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>
>   For other support material please check also:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/support.html

>                                                         Investment
management software                                          Real
estate investment software
Investment property
software
             Software
support                                          Real estate
investment analysis
software                                          Investment
software

Service.

> Yahoo! Mail
> Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail  makes sharing a breeze.

24 Hours. Commission-Free.