From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Will
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 06:10
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Deleted Symbol

Thanks, Terry and Dick for your suggestions but the problem is a
little different to how you understood it.  The data for the symbols
I deleted is still in its usual file but AB no longer recognizes
it.  If I go to my list of all symbols in the workspace of AB the
deleted symbols are not there.  If I go to enter them again by
going 'Symbol - New' and type the codes in to the box that opens
then AB tells me the symbols are already there and then if I look in
the list they are there now but in lower case (I typed them in caps)
and the data is not there to produce a chart.

I have just got them back!  I had the 'All' list open, deleted the
lower case entries of the "missing" symbols, typed the symbols in
one at a time and they opened again as proper charts.  Quite
mysterious. The only difference now is that the full name of the
ticker in the ticker box is not there, just a couple of brackets. At
least I can now see the charts again!

Will

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "areehoi" <rhoierman@xxx> wrote:

> Will,
> The easiest way to backup your DB file is to save it as a"SAVE AS"
> file with another name.  That file can be moved to your other
computer
> and will work fine.
>
> Dick H.
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Will" <wkraa@> wrote:
> >
> > I have accidentally deleted a couple of symbols from my database
(I
> > thought I was only deleting them from a watchlist but now
realize that
> > was a bad mistake) and see from the help files that this cannot
be
> > undone.  I don't really want to have to do without charts of
these
> > stocks from here on.  Is there any way to get around this
problem
> > short of uninstalling AB and starting again form the beginning?
> >
> > I created a new layout on my laptop and tried to transfer the
file to
> > the appropriate folder in AB on my desktop but the layout that
opened
> > from that was nothing like what I had saved on my desktop.  This
leads
> > me to wonder about how to back-up AB.  It is easy enough to save
the
> > whole AB folder on other media as suggested in one posting but
how do
> > you then use it to restore AB if there is some problem?
> >
> > I am sorry to be asking what to many must seem stupid questions
but I
> > have only just started using AB and really like it much better
than
> > anything I have used before.

24 Hours. Commission-Free.