Re: [amibroker] Re: Amibroker vs. Yahoo Finance - different historical stock prices

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Amibroker vs. Yahoo Finance - different historical stock prices
  • From: "Tomasz Janeczko" <amibroker@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:19:36 +0100

No Terry, what you say is incorrect.

By DEFAULT AmiBroker uses ADJUSTED prices.
It calculated adjusted high/low/open from ratio of adjclose/close provided by Yahoo.

See documentation of $FORMAT

OpenInterest field is NOT used unless you specify
$RAWCLOSE2OI 1
in the aqh.format file.
(Then raw (unadjusted close) * 100 is placed in OI field)/

You can also get unadjusted prices in OHLC fields
if you remove ADJCLOSE from $FORMAT definition
in aqh.format file.

It was all described in detail in

CHANGES FOR VERSION 4.46.0 (as compared to 4.45.0)

  • ASCII importer: support for importing unadjusted Yahoo data performing adjustment on the fly:
    • new field ADJCLOSE - to read adj. close column from Yahoo. Works _only_ in conjunction with CLOSE field. When both CLOSE and ADJCLOSE are present in the ASCII format definition then importer calculates split factor by dividing ADJCLOSE/CLOSE. It then multiples OPEN, HIGH, LOW and CLOSE fields by this factor and divides VOLUME field by this factor. This effectively converts unadjusted prices to split adjusted prices. Split ratio gets locked once ADJCLOSE drops below 0.05.
    • new command $ROUNDADJ decimaldigits - causes split-adjusted prices (see above) to be rounded to 'decimaldigits' precision. By default no rounding is done.
    • new command $RECALCSPLITS 1 - (off by default) causes that splits are recalculated by AmiBroker
      by the algorithm that tries to construct correct adjusted price, based on inaccurate information provided by Yahoo.
      Note that Yahoo provides only 2 decimal digits in adj. close field therefore the more adj. close approaches zero due to adjustements the error grows. The option $RECALCSPLITS 1 is intended to address this problem (at least partially).
      It works as follows:
      1. for each bar ratio ADJCLOSE/CLOSE is calculated
      2. if the ratio changes in two consecutive bars by more than 10% it means that
      split happened that bar. True split ratio is guessed by matching true fraction
      in the format of X/Y, where X and Y = 1..9, to the change in ratios.
      3. Then true split ratio is used to adjust all past bars until new split is detected.
    • new command $RAWCLOSE2OI 1 - (off by default) - causes that OpenInterest field gets assigned CLOSE (raw close) field value multiplied by 100
  • new aqh.format file included in "formats" subfolder using new ASCII importer commands to import and adjust prices from Yahoo. Compatible with existing AmiQuote versions.
    Best regards,
    Tomasz Janeczko
    amibroker.com