RE: [amibroker] very little choice in terms of data sources.

If you are using AB, a data vendors UI is NOT particularly important.  I use QP3 as my data source for AB.  I think their charting and analytical tools are only fair AT BEST.   So why use them?  Their data is matches my needs, their downloader works pretty well and the cost is reasonable.  As long as that works for you, just forget their charting and analytical UI.

Regards,

Dan.

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tomasz Janeczko
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:12 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] very little choice in terms of data sources.

Hello,

First : the choice of data sources is VERY WIDE already:
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_quotes.html

As for Stockwatch and other sources:
you can use QuoteTracker plugin to access ALL sources
that QT allows:
http://www.amibroker.com/qtracker.html

You don't need to like QT to use it as a data source,
just run it and forget that you are running it.

As for why not make hundreds of plugins:

You need to understand that QT business model is based
on advertising. It works for them because they have stricly on-line product.
They are interested in maximum advertising revenue stream
that why they are interested in getting potentially largest
number of web sites to co-operate.

AmiBroker is able to work OFF-line and LOTS of people using it
off-line and we rely solely on registrations.

We are interested in co-operating not with largest number of sites
but only with the MOST RELIABLE and offering most features (specifically backfill).
AmiBroker working with source that has no backfill has very little merrit.

To make a plugin it requires at least ONE MONTH of developer work
and undefined amount of time to maintain it when data source changes.
Now even considering very low developer fee $30/hour you get
about $6000 cost just to develop plugin.
Now note that most of plugins (excluding QCharts plugin) are offered
for FREE to AmiBroker users. THis means that there must be hundreds
of people interested in using it to make such option viable.
Even assuming that you will sell particular plugin (as QCharts for $20)
to cover development costs you need to sell 300 copies.

There are also other reasons including the fact that
lots of data sources that QT uses do not have official API for 3rd party apps,
and QT made connections to them by reverse-engineering their applets and/or apps.
M. Medved spoke about this on their boards.
http://boards.quotetracker.com/board/printthread.php?Cat=0&Board=Support&main=44976&type=thread

We really do not have time to spend time on reverse-engineering other software.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com