[amibroker] Re: Signals on daily charts from data ONLY available monthly.

I appreciate the help, Terry (Joe and Graham, as well), and I've been
trying to use the import wizard, but after I select the file and
click to open it, it doesn't show up in the box "You have selected
the following file(s):".  Instead, a black cursor flashes in the box,
but doesn't allow me to do anything.  I seem to be following both
your instructions and the instructions in "Help," but the process
just stops dead right there.  Did I miss a step?  Do I need to save
the source file in a particular place, and not just on my Desktop (or
wherever)?  Or do you think I've run into something I should elevate
to Support?

Luck,

Sebastian

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Terry" <MagicTH@xxxx> wrote:

> All you need is the signals in an Excel file.
>
> Name the excel file something appropriate for a symbol name.
>
> In the case of Timing Cube, I used TCube
>
> Column A has your dates
>
> Column B has 0, 1 or 2
>
> Save As and choose .csv file.
>
> In AB choose Import Wizard under File
>
> Select TCube.csv, make the first column the date in M/D/Y or
however you
> saved it.
>
> Make the 2nd column the Close
>
> Make all other columns = Skip
>
> If you made a header line like Date, Close skip the first 1 lines of
> data.
>
> Finish.
>

> Here's my Timing Cube file. I used -1 for Shorts. There are no Cash
> signals. Just match your AB code accordingly.
>

> Date
>
> Trade
>

> 3/10/1999
>
> 1
>

> 3/29/2000
>
> -1
>

> 5/30/2000
>
> 1
>

> 9/22/2000
>
> -1
>

> 1/10/2001
>
> 1
>

> 2/2/2001
>
> -1
>

> 4/10/2001
>
> 1
>

> 6/15/2001
>
> -1
>

> 10/3/2001
>
> 1
>

> 1/11/2002
>
> -1
>

> 5/14/2002
>
> 1
>

> 5/28/2002
>
> -1
>

> 10/17/2002
>
> 1
>

> 1/16/2003
>
> -1
>

> 3/13/2003
>
> 1
>

> 3/28/2003
>
> -1
>

> 4/2/2003
>
> 1
>

> 4/29/2004
>
> -1
>

> 10/27/2004
>
> 1
>

> 3/16/2005
>
> -1
>

> 5/11/2005
>
> 1
>

> 10/11/2005
>
> -1
>

> 10/19/2005
>
> 1
>

> --
>
> Terry

On
> Behalf Of sebastiandanconia
> Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 16:16
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Signals on daily charts from data ONLY
> available monthly.
>

> Well, it sounds cool, but I have one last semi-embarrassing
>
> question:  How does one convert data from Excel into an ASCII or
text

> file useable by AB?  Are there conversion tools available to do
that,

> should I write a macro that will do it for me or what?
>

> Luck,
>

> Sebastian
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Terry" <MagicTH@xxxx> wrote:
>

> > Yes. Works great. I suggest 1 for Long, 2 for Short, 0 for Cash.
>
> used
>
> > to use -1 for short and I still convert it in AFL, but you cannot
>
> ADD a
>
> > negative price using Quote Editor.
>
> > --
>
> > Terry

AB?

> > If so, just add a "1" or a "0" in one of the data-fields (or
>
> > something along that line) for the signals?
>

> > S.
>

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Terry" <MagicTH@xxxx> wrote:
>

> > > AB will fill all "holes" with the most recent value, provided
you

> > don't
>
> > > disable this option in Foreign.
>

> > > This also works great if importing a foreign timing signal to
test

> > > (e.g., TimingCube).
>
> > > --
>
> > > Terry

Can

> > > import this data in monthly format and will AB simply pick up
the

> > > last appropriate data-point for month and year on any system
>
> tests?
>
> > > Or should I artificially "expand" my data in Excel, such that
>
> > 1/1/05,
>
> > > 1/2/05, 1/3/05, 1/4/05, etc., all have the same monthly value?
>

> > > Or can FIXUP be used to solve this disparity in the periodicity
>
> of
>
> > > the data?
>

> > > If anyone knows of any systems in the library that address
this,

> or
>
> > > of any discussion here that does so, I'd be grateful if they
>
> could
>
> > > point me there.  Or if AB automatically takes care of this
issue,

> > > that would be helpful to know, also, LOL!
>

> > > Luck to all,
>

> > > Sebastian

> > > Please note that this group is for discussion between users
only.

> > > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com

> > > Yahoo! Groups Links

> > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com