[amibroker] Re: Disable Fixed Ruin Stop (6)?

Graham, I wish it were that simple. It's been awhile since I tossed
aside a derivatives database in which backtesting was distorted by
the Ruin Stop. I then did some search (it's not in the Help File) and
found this:

> It is only because of this 100% "ruin stop" thing that it
> seems to be misbehaving.

and (part of) TJ's reply:

> If anytime during the day the loss of position exceeds 99.97% then
> it is automatically exited marking ruin (total lost of funds).
> In your case you have shorted stock at $14.32
> and later on High was $28.76.

I am no expert in detailed ins and outs of the backtester but this
pretty much coincides with what I experienced: individual positions
are closed at a 99.96% loss independent of equity. While it may be a
bit more sophisticated than that, it sure screwed up my results one
way or the other.

As said, to force out a $100 stock at 4¢ (not 40¢ as I wrote earlier)
seems ridiculous but harmless. But to close a $50 SHORT at $100 is
seriously disruptive. Especially anyone familiar with leveraged
securities (futures, options) will realize this.

I'm just guessing that TJ once had a short blow up and since
considers his "Ruin Stop" law. Very unfortunate.