Re: [amibroker] Re: A Challenge for all you code wizards .....

Nightstalker

Thanks for that. Seems like what this does is look for a breakout in a different way.
Yep, if you set the Range No of days = 5 or 10 you look further back for the setup.

As far as I know Scan is used to ...
1.Create composites using the Addtocomposite function
2.To run a daily (or other time period) for signals as per your buy signal..

The Scan button will only work if your code has a buy statement in it.

So if you add

Buy = filter;

after the filter statement then you will be able to use the Scan button..
Double click on one of the returned tickers, and the chart will show with an arrow/arrows in the place where your buy or filter conditions were met.

Exploration does not need a buy condition. It returns a list of tickers based on your Filter conditions and returns information for these in the columns.
So for Explorations you need a Filter statement and at least one Addcolumn statement.
Explorations are a good way to output numbers into the columns to see if your code is doing what you think it should be doing. Or to derive data which you wish to export into a CSV file for example.

So if you have code which has ...
1.filter and Addcolumn statements AND
2.Buy statement

you can use this as Scan or Exploration.

If you also have ...
3.Plot statements then you can use the same whole afl file for Scans and Explorations and for the old Indicator builder or plotting function.

If your code also has a Sell condition you can use it for backtesting.

Happy trading.

ChrisB

original_nightstalker <nightstalker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Just on that point - what exactly IS the difference between scan and explore?  I know that if I go to 'Scan' with your formula, I get an error about something not being defined, but it works perfectly as an "Explore".  Never been clear on the difference and the use of the terminology there - to me, a scan and an exploration would seem to be the same thing....  but what do I know? :)

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS