From: Dan Clark
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 9:32 PM
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Relative Strength - Dan Clark

Ara,

Thanks.   I took a quick look.   Very interesting!   I’ll take an in-depth look tomorrow.  One question – It looks like you are keeping the Industry ATC symbols the same length.    I’m very curious.   Why do that?

FYI, I made a quick change to my Sector ROC chart (attached).  Now, I can switch from a straight ROC view (SectorVsUSMkt_NoBaseline.gif) to an ROC view where a market indicator is set as the baseline (SectorVsUSMkt_MktAsBaseline.gif).

The first view gives me a decent quick view of how the overall market and sectors are doing.  The second helps me understand which sectors are outperforming and which are underperforming the market.   For example…

From SectorVsUSMkt_NoBaseline.gif, you can see that the Utilities Sector rose 2% in the last 19 days. HOWEVER…    SectorVsUSMkt_MktAsBaseline.gif shows that the Utilities Sector declined by 4% when compared to the market as a whole.

It gets more interesting when you compare indexes that are composed of Large, Mid and Small Cap stocks (attached).  As you can see, the Large Cap Internet is strongly outperforming the market and Transportation doing pretty well.   Mid Cap shows better general strength except for Energy and Utilities.  Small Cap shows relatively poor and declining performance.

In other words, it looks like money is rotating out of the small cap Sectors and into medium cap and some large cap Sectors.   Interesting stuff!  (I LOVE this product!)

Regards,

Dan.