[amibroker] Re: creating DLL's

Thanks Tomasz,

I have to admit it has been a long while since I looked at the
package. I don't remember that you provided a DevC++ with your
package nor examples. At that time I was struggling to understand
AFL. DLLs were not all that easy from what I remembered. I will have
to take a peek at it again.  I have a use for it now, probably why I
didn't look at it all that close before. Glad I misspoke or I would
not have gotten a heads up from you. And others who have not used it
may be intrigued too. As easy as "Hello World" is nice.

Thanks again,
Barry

-- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <amibroker@xxxx>
wrote:

> Barry,
>
> I don't know if you actually read AmIBroker Development Kit (ADK)
> http://www.amibroker.com/members/bin/ADK.exe
>
> (members only).
>
> ADK allows to build DLLs using not only Visual C++ but also
> FREE DevC++ package. Project files for DevC++ are included
> in the ADK.
> Also there are sample files ready-to-use starting from very basic
things
> so writing DLL plugin for AmiBroker is not much more difficult
> than writing "hello world" application.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

ridiculous. He
> > is right but writing a DLL is not as easy as falling off a hay
> > wagon.
> >
> > You can use Visual C++ to create DLLs. My compiler supports it
but I
> > have never tried it. Finding a program that is easy to learn is
> > another matter all together. I use Visual C++ and it is anything
but
> > easy to learn. If all you want in the DLL are formulas
(functions)
> > that will accept parameters and spit out a value then it might
not
> > be so hard. But if you need an interface that returns multiple
> > values or put up a window forget it. That would be really
difficult.

> > If all you want is a formula in your DLL try writing functions
in
> > ALF. If you can handle that then you may be able to write a DLL.
But
> > if you have difficulty writing functions in ALF then using a
program
> > language will be very hard to learn, not impossible but HARD.
But if
> > you are a programmer and can write in visual Basic then you
should
> > not have too much trouble learning another language. You will
need a
> > free compiler. Visual C++ is expensive. If you can find a free
UNIX
> > C++ compiler then that may be the way to go.
> >
> > But if you are not a programmer you are in for a learning
> > experience, kind of like sipping from a fire hose. I would
suggest
> > going to codeguru or pro ramming sites and see if they have a
free
> > java program that will allow it.
> >
> > Search "writing dll" in Google. This is one that you might read
> > first, http://www.barbus.biz/products/fb/hellodll.html.  That
will
> > give you the steps but I am not sure what language they are
writing
> > in. This is another site, http://www.zetnet.co.uk/rad/dll.html.
They
> > are writing the DLL in C++. If you are not a programmer or
unless
> > that is really what you want to do, forget trying to learn C++,
or
> > even C. It is like learning another language, and that's what it
is,
> > another language
> >
> > The problem with Java, I believe, is that it is open source. If
so
> > that may allow anyone to read your code. That is what you did
not
> > want. The only way I know of, and I am not an expert in DLLs, is
> > write it in a high level language like Pascal or C++ and compile
it.
> > That would turn it into hex which is not readable.
> >
> > Barry
> >
> >  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ricko8294_98" <ricko@xxxx>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Visual Basic (I believe) does not create proper .DLL files for
use
> > in
> >> AB.
> >>
> >> What options (other languages) can be used (without having to
> > learn too
> >> difficult a language)?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be appreciated
> >> Rick