[amibroker] Re: [use Y = tanh( X ) ]: normalize indicator

I am answering, I guess, an _implied_ question of how to bound
an indicator to an interval [-1,1], and one can use tanh()
for that, as in my example.
TANH() in traders' circles may be better known as the Inverse Fisher
transform (see Ehlers), for some unknown to me reason.
One can directly compare my normalized_CCI with other
range-bound oscillators, e.g. CMO. If what matters are the OB/OS
levels, as is usually the case, then other "normalizations" do not
matter.

If you do not want to distort the shape of CCI v. t histogram
(#CCI in a 'bin' dCCI per fixed period dt), then make a linear
scaling wrt Y-axis to [-1,1] interval. This, however, would depend
on floating [Min, Max] interval, not defined for unbounded indicator
function, so it won't be useful.
If you have some other normalization in mind, please let me know...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "JJ" <jparent@xxxx> wrote:

> --- "dalengo" wrote:
> > use  Y = tanh( X ) if X goes beyong [-1,1] interval
>
> -----------------
> > > hi there, i would like to normalize an indicator between two
values
> > (-1  and 1 in this case), but i´m not able to do it...can anybody
> point me in the right direction??
>
> not so fast...  first you need to know the distribution of the base
> indicator.  tanh() bounds an indicator between -x and x.  it does
not
> necessarily normalize. it is typically used to limit the effect of
> outliers.
>
> \jeff

24 Hours. Commission-Free.