[amibroker] Re: Newe User - Some General Questions : )

Thanks again Dan.  Looks like my arms'll be gettin' dirty right up to
the shoulders - plenty of digging to do here!

Actually looking forward to getting "into" AB, and hopefully making it
"sing", well, maybe just "chirp" a bit..., and Tomasz, you can look
forward to an order post haste!

All good here, so many resources...

Cheers,   T.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxxx> wrote:

> Toey,
>

> Hi.  Again, welcome aboard.
>

> I'm biased, but I agree - AB and QP3 is a great combo.
>

> One thing to keep in mind is that when issues arise, there are
solutions and
> workarounds readily available.   I don't know if I mentioned it, but in
> addition to this forum, two excellent sources are:
>

> The online AFL Function Reference:
>
> http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/
>

> The online AFL library:
>
> Latest posts to library - http://www.amibroker.com/library/
>
> Complete library listing - http://www.amibroker.com/library/list.php
>

> The library is a great resource for problem solving.  Even if you
don't find
> the specific solution you are looking for, it's a great place to pick up
> ideas and techniques.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Dan.
>
>   _____

On Behalf
> Of toecutter6666
> Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:58 AM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Newe User - Some General Questions : )
>

> Patrick, Dan and Dave,
>
> What can I say?  The quality and relevance of your responses is simply
> brilliant - sincere apologies for my tardiness in acknowledging this
> fact.  What a welcome! <head spins> - if this place is habitated by
> the likes of you fellows, then a terrific product is made even better
> by such great user support (and I am very impressed that Tomasz is so
> very involved with the users as well).
>
> It seems my questions were a little naïve, but while trading is not
> new to me, the use of AB is, so thanks for the replies.  Previously,
> in my "futures" incarnation, my data prodider and software were
> packaged so that issues such as I have raised were virtually seamless.
> In my current venture, however,  I will be using CFD's to trade these
> stocks, so I hope that AB's portfolio and testing capabilities can
> facilitate leveraged trades.
>
> Taking aboard all of your advices, I have subsequently read further
> here and across the web, and will go with QP3 as a data source, as
> your consensus seems to point in this direction – extremely well
> thought out and researched results demonstrate you chaps really know
> your stuff.  At the very least, AB and QP3 should provide a solid
> *starting* package, while I can of course modify over time as suits.
>
> Regarding cheaper data sources; I'm a carniverous SciFi reader, and
> RAH's books form a significant part of my library, so the points you
> make vis-à-vis TANSTAAFL raised a guffaw here in the office.  Points
> well taken.
>
> Now to roll sleeves up & get my hands dirty!!
>
> Your help is so greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers Guys,
>
> Toey.
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave" <dbwalsh1@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Toe,
> > I'm an Aussie AB user, for EOD data I use EzyCast which can produce
> > MetaStock format data, which I can then read into AB using the MS
> > plugin, my annual subscription is $195(includes ASX, SFE, World
Indices,
> > Forex etc) for after Midnight downloads. To set up GICS Sectors I used
> > Michael (the Oz Falcon's) ASX SETUP which can be found in the Files
> > section. He has created various scripts for updating GICS, ASX/S&P
> > Indices and now some Fundamental data. There is also a complete ASX
> > SAMPLE database up to about june this year. This is well worth a
look at
> > - check out his Fundamental Indicators. As for Intraday data, you
could
> > shop around for a broker that intraday charts for your
entries.Note also
> > that unfortunately IB does not support the ASX.
> > All the best with your foray into stocks.
> > Dave

Strange
> > Land"!   Lots of issues, possibilities, and dead ends.   (I know
because
> > I been down most of them!)  Hopefully we can help you better swim
> > through the murky waters.
> >

> > In general, I agree with Patrick and his comments.   Look below
for more
> > detailed, inline comments.
> >

> > Regarding AB, I've used many charting and analytical packages over the
> > last six years.   Many have a nicer looking UI than AB.  Some have
well
> > over 100 built-in indicators.  Some come with data as part of the
> > package.  But NONE have the power and flexibility of AB.
> >

> > Here are two of my posts to the AB Yahoo user group comparing
Telechart
> > and QuotesPlus:

> > The first is my initial report about two months ago.  The second is my
> > final report a few weeks later.  Look for other posts with that title.
> > Other AB users added additional, excellent information including some
> > things that I missed.
> >

> > One other point.  Since I posted the comparison, my opinion has
> > polarized even further.   I would never go back to TeleChart.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Dan.
> >

> >   _____

Data,
> > or search for Quotes Plus).  For several reasons he switched to
QP3 from
> > TC2005.  I continue to use both.
> >

> > I'm a TA trader (swing and intraday), I trade for a living, and do
some
> > sorts/explorations on fundamental data (usually on the weekends).
 I use
> > end of day data feeds from QP and TC2005 (TC also has intraday
updating,
> > ~ 15-20 min delayed), and intraday data feeds from eSignal, and (via
> > QuoteTracker) Prophet.net and several brokerages.  Intraday I mostly
> > rely on the eSignal data to feed AB (trades and watchlists) and do
some
> > scans on large watchlist using TC2005 delayed.  I have multiple
> > computers, multiple broadband connections and maintain multiple data
> > bases (both end of day and intraday) for AB.  But to respond to your
> > questions:
> >

> > 1st: If I do a FA scan or sort in QP3/TC2005, can the results be
> > imported into AB, so I can then run TA over those results? Yes -- but
> > for the most part, I don't know why you would want to do so --  AB
> > explorations run much faster than either QP or TC.  You can access
most
> > (if not all) of the fundamental data fields in QP using the
> > "GetExtralData()" command.  TC has virtually no fundamentals
exposed to
> > AB.  But yes, ticker lists generated from any source can be imported
> > into AB watchlists from .lst, .tls, .txt, or .csv files with a simple
> > Import procedure.
> >
> > [Dan] I strongly agree on this point.   I very much like using QP data
> > in AB, especially for its access to "ExtraData".    Initially I tried
> > running scans in TC and then importing the results into AB.  It was a
> > serious hassle!!!
> >

> > Currently I have two scans that each take 12 to 15 minutes to run
in AB.
> > 90% of the functionality of these scans can NOT be implemented in
either
> > TC or QP.   One piece of the second scan was originally designed
for TC.
> > It took 19 separate, manual steps to implement in TC.  Now I just ONE
> > push a button in AB.
> >

> > I'm a database architect by profession (fancy name for a database
> > developer).   My professional opinion of Telechart's programming
> > language and architecture is that it is seriously flawed.  The
Watchlist
> > sorting has some nice features, but much of the scanning process is
> > based on loading PCFs into Watchlist and then sorting, selecting,
> > sorting again, flagging, unflagging, etc.   Initially it sounds great,
> > but you hit the "wall" pretty fast.
> >

> > For example, let's say that you have a scan that looks for stocks
whose
> > price is diverging from an indicator (that's the 19 step one mentioned
> > above).   My scan resulted in about 90 stocks that met criteria.
 From
> > there it was a manual review of the charts.  OK, I could deal with
that.
> > So I reviewed each of the 90 stocks and loaded the interesting 10-15
> > interesting ones into a Watchlist.  Great!  Until the next day.
> >

> > Then I ran the scan again.  Guess what?!?  The scan found most of
the 90
> > stocks from day one plus a few more in day two.   Now why would I want
> > to re-review the symbols that are already in my "Stalking"
Watchlist or
> > ones that I've already decided to exclude!?!
> >

> > So, I posted to the Worden support forum - "How can I exclude symbols?
> > Can I set up an 'Exclude' Watchlist?"  Their response:  "Sorry, that
> > can't be done.  What you can do is manually review your list of 2000
> > tradable stocks and delete the ones you don't want."  My response:
"Uh,
> [...]
> > number of customers served and business acquisitions. Net income also
> > reflects improved operating margins and increase in interest and other
> > income.<P><P>
> >

> > ****************** SUMMARY INFORMATION **************************
> >
> > FOR:  10/7/2005
> >

> > CLOSE:            30.50
> >
> > Volume:             115,659
> >

> > High Close in past 21 days:   30.67
> >

> > 52 Week High Close:   32.00
> >
> > 52 week Low Close:    13.60

> > Market Capitalization           741.2
> >

> > QuotesPlus Relative Strength:     87.000
> >

> > Beta - issue Volatility:                    0.000
> >
> > ADX(14) =  15.7             Trend:    Down
> >
> > ATR(5)   =    1.04
> >

> > Gizzard Stock Criteria Met:       YES
> >
> > DAY TRADER POTENTIAL:   NO
> >

> > ****************** DETAIL INFORMATION *******************************
> >

> >  --- Share and Volume Data  -----
> >

> > Number of Shares (millions):   24.30
> >

> > Date:                                                      10/7/2005
> >
> > Volume (millions):  0.116      % of 21 day MA: 59.7%
> >
> > Daily Average Volume Traded prior   5 days (millions):        0.222
> >
> > Daily Average Volume Traded prior 21 days (millions):        0.192
> >
> > Daily Average Volume Traded prior 50 days (millions):        0.184
> >

> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >

> >  ---   Stock Ownership Information  ---
> >

> > Shares Outstanding (millions):                    21.23
> >
> > Shares Float (millions):                               18.00
> >

> > Float Turnover (days, based on 10 day Avg Vol)     63.30
> >

> > Percent of Shares held by Institution:             57.79%
> >

> > Short interest (millions):                                 0.90
> >
> > Float / Short Ratio:                                       20.02
> >
> > Short Interest as % of Shares Outstanding:   4.2%
> >
> > Short Interest as % of Float:                           5.0%
> >
> > Days to Cover Short:                                     4.644
> >

> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >

> >  --- Fundamental Data ---
> >

> > High PE range:      0.000
> >
> > Low PE range:      0.000
> >
> > Price/Earnings Growth Ratio:      0.000
> >
> > Annual Dividend:      0.000
> >

> > Cash Flow per Share:                  1.461
> >
> > Long term debt to equity:             0.244
> >
> > Return on Equity:                       12.205
> >
> > Bookvalue in dollars per share:  10.804
> >

> > 1-year growth rate of earnings per share:     14.972
> >
> > 5-year growth rate of earnings per share:     68.185
> >
> > One Year Projected EPS Growth:     17.073
> >
> > Two Year Projected EPS Growth:     17.708
> >
> > Three Year Projected EPS Growth:     16.000
> >
> > TTM Sales:     23.617
> >
> > TTM EPS:        1.110
> >

> > One month price change:      62.00%
> >
> > Three month price change:    280.00%
> >
> > Six month price change:      1,100.00%
> >
> > One year price change:       1,691.00%
> >

> > Is there any validity in purchasing *both* products given the
redundancy
> > of many features in each if I had both?  This is idiosyncratic --
I do,
> > as each has data and features that I find useful (intraday updates
in TC
> > so I can quickly scan larger stock watchlists, albeit delayed,
> > fundamentals in QP not available in TC, etc).  The nominal cost of
25-30
> > a month is a fraction of my trading expenses (several trade
commissions)
> > and I believe they easily pay for themselves -- can't say that about
> > other data vendors I've used, however.  It is no problem to have both
> > databases on the same machine, to export/import scan/exploration
results
> > between the two (e.g., I scan for low float issues in QP, then
send to a
> > watchlist in the TC supported AB database to scan against because TC
> > doesn't provide float data).  As to program features, I really
don't use
> > either QP or TC programs much -- perhaps I'll look at TC occasionally
> > for a fast intraday update to a PCF/EZ Scan generated list.
> >
> > [Dan] QP does not provide intraday updates to data, only EOD.   That's
> > about the only benefit that I can think of.  But I'm a swing
trader.   I
> > don't trade intraday any more.   So that's not an issue for me.
> >

> > If I want intraday updates, I can get the data from Interactive
Brokers.
> > I'm thinking about getting an EOD subscription to eSignal just for the
> > one-minute data.   Neither TC nor QP provide this.  QP only does daily
> > data and TC only provides 15 minute bars real time (at
$100/month!).

> > Also, I do not use the QP charting and analysis tools except maybe to
> > audit the data.  I believe that Patrick uses TC data to compare to QP
> > data.  That's another advantage of having both.  For me, the cost is
> > less of an issue.  It's the hassle of keeping two systems updated.
 For
> > me, it's just not worth the hassle.
> >

> > 2nd: I am an EOD swing style trader, but would like access on some
> > occasions to *intraday* data for optimal entries and exits.  Is
there a
> > way that this data can be obtained easily and cheaply for those
times I
> > need it, for certain equities?  Depends on what you want and how you
> > trade -- I time my entries on the shorter trades, and somewhat for the
> > longer swings as well.  I use  intraday updates from TC2005 for
delayed
> > data (to update a larger database for general scans) and other
real-time
> > data vendors (for trade, breakout and other watchlist updates) .
 I do
> > not use (or recommend) "free" data, as many years ago I found that it
> > was not reliable enough to risk my trading money on (especially
> > Quote.com's stuff).  It sounds trite, but Robert Heinlein's TANSTAAFL
> > (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) applies.  But it's up to
> > you.  You might want to check out Medved's QuoteTracker
> > (http://www.quotetracker.com/) as a means to track issues and import
> > data cheaply/freely to AB.  As noted above, I can use intraday
data from
> > Prophet.net data ( http://www.prophet.net/), PCQuote, and data from my
> > brokers in QT and then access it in AB (via the QT plug-in).  QT
> > supports a number of free and inexpensive data vendors and brokers
(see:
> > http://www.quotetracker.com/qsources.shtml ), including some in
> > Australia.  Note as well that if you want intraday data, you will want
> > to get the RT version of AB (AB Pro), not the standard.
> >
> > [Dan] I agree on TANSTFFL.   You can get intraday data from
Interactive
> > Brokers.   It's free if you have an account.  You can get up to 5 days
> > of backfills.    I've tried it and it works pretty well.  For me, I'm
> > just as happy using the charting provided by my broker to fine tune my
> > order.   But then again, my trading volume is on the order of
trades per
> > month not trades per day (like Patrick).
> >

> > I don't really understand what "backfill" is, but I suspect that has
> > something to do with what I'm asking here...  Backfill is simply
getting
> > data for periods prior to the time you start accessing the data
(whether
> > in AB or some other program).  It is data vendor specific.  Some data
> > vendors provide it (and in varying amounts and periods), others do not
> > (see the QT data vendor list for examples).  ESignal (www.esignal.com)
> > provides 10 days of tick and 120 days of 1 minute historic intraday
> > data.  Unless you have been accumulating data for a particular issue,
> > get a vendor that provides it if you need it.  You need it if you want
> > to look at intraday support and resistance, pivot points, volume at
> > price, etc. to help time your entry.  If you've had the stock on a
> > watchlist you've been tracking and accumulating intraday data (in AB
> > there's no limit to the amount you can accumulate), then you may not
> > need it.  If you like to trade a stock you've done no workup on
but hear
> > that there's some news that's moving it, or want to look at recent
> > intraday history of a stock that you've identified from an end of day
> > scan and added to AB, you need it.  Again, you will need AB Pro.
> >
> > [Dan] Interactive Brokers provide 5 days of backfill.
> >

> > 3rd:  It is essential to me that GICS breakdowns into Sector/Industry
> > Group/Industry etc are available and updated in whatever DB I use. Who
> > maintains this - the data supplier or AB?  I'm not certain what
you mean
> > by GICS breakdowns.  To me industry and sector assignments are a
> > secondary issue, not essential, so I've not spent much time on it.  I
> > trade patterns principally, but do look for them in Sectors.
Generally,
> > if your data vendor does it (both QP and TC have their systems of
> > assignment) it saves you al lot of time, but you can set up your
own in
> > AB.  You might read Dan's comments or ask him as he is much more
attuned
> > to this issue, and there was a discussion with in the past couple
months
> > on sector assignment issues.
> >
> > [Dan] If you want GICS, you do NOT, repeat NOT, NOT, NOT want
Telechart.
> > They have a flattened hierarchy with over thirty sectors.   They have
> > Tobacco as a sector!!!    QP uses a mapping that is similar to,
but not
> > quite like GICS I believe.  Actually, I rather like QP's mapping.
> >

> > 4th: I realise that QP3 and TC2005 only provide their data for the US
> > stock markets.  Does anybody know where similar (ie GICS-sorted, OHLC
> > and key fundamentals) might be available for ASX (Australian) listed
> > stocks?  Ask Graham or the other Aussies here and look in the files
> > section for the ASX files.  ESignal does supply foreign exchange data,
> > so do other data vendors.  I have no experience with any as I
trade the
> > US NASDAQ issues almost exclusively.  Try GTW - (Google the Web).
> >

> > I would need such data to be usable in AB, and again, a cost effective
> > solution would be preferred!  Is is possible to maintain you own
ticker
> > lists and somehow use them to gather free EOD data (eg: Yahoo) for use
> > in AB, or is this not worth the effort given all of the GICS groupings
> > and constant changes etc. Yes, you can set up and manage your own
ticker
> > list database and use a free data source in AB.  But repeat after
me, "
> > Cheap, Quick, Working" -- pick any 2, but you can't have all three (AB
> > is the only exception I know of that proves this rule).  If it's Quick
> > and Working, it's going to cost more, if it's Cheap and Working, it's
> > going to take some time, and if it's Cheap and Quick, it won't work
> > well.  My time is spent trading, not adjusting data bases (for splits,
> > mergers, new tickers, ticker changes, dividends, etc.,  as well as
> > maintaining assignments to Sectors, Industries, etc), so I'm quite
> > willing to pay a data vendor to do that, provided they do.  QP and TC
> > are worth it.
> >
> > [Dan] I agree completely.   One big issue for you will be the
Sector and
> > Industry mappings.  With QP (and TC), you just click a button to
import
> > all of the Sectors and Industries AND the Stock to Industry/Sector
> > mappings.
> >

> > As professional database developer, I've built many systems that
cleanse
> > and manage data.   I'm very qualified to do it.   But I would NEVER,
> > EVER do it for my stock data.   Managing data is one serious
hassle.  I
> > don't have the time.
> >

> > Pay the bucks to QP, TC, eSignal or whoever and let them do it.
> >

> > I am quite adept at writing complex excel formula, so I hope that
a)the
> > AFL is similar in construction and concept, and that b) I can
contribute
> > in a worthwhile manner here in the future!!  I'm not a programmer, not
> > particularly adept (but moderately proficient) in excel, and I've been
> > able to learn to program AFL.  IMHO, it's not hard.  Others are
> > certainly better than I and there are some capabilities of AB that
I've
> > never bothered to learn, but the user group is a great community of
> > sharing, Tomasz is a paragon of patience and exemplar of
incredible user
> > support, and (as Dan has eloquently explained at diverse times) AB is
> > like an onion with layers of capability that can be peeled to suit any
> > user's needs and abilities.  Welcome, good luck and do let us know
what
> > you come up with.
> >
> > [Dan] If you can write Excel code, you can probably program AB.  You
> > will probably have some head-scratching session like you would
with any
> > analytical/charting tool you buy.    It's just part of the learning
> > process.   When you feel more comfortable with it, you can be more
> > aggressive.
> >

> > One of the WONDERFUL things about AB is the ability to peel back the
> > covers.  Just create a chart and insert some indicators into panes.
> > Then, right-click on a pane and click "Edit Formula".   A window will
> > pop up and display the code that creates your chart.   You can make a
> > few changes, click the "check" button to validate the code, then click
> > save.   Your changes appear in the chart.
> >

> > Or, you can download formulas from the formula library and insert them
> > into charts and scans.   Most of the things that you will want to
> > program have already been coded and exist in the library.   Just
> > download a copy, try it and then modify to taste.   (Tip: Effective
> > programmers copy a lot.  We haven't the time to waste.)
> >

> > For example, here's a simple momentum indicator from the library:
> >
> > http://www.amibroker.com/library/detail.php?id=539
> >

> > And here's a nice looking "MACD and histogram divergence
detection" AFL,
> > which I just downloaded:
> >
> > http://www.amibroker.com/library/detail.php?id=562
> >

> > Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick

> > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com

> > Investment
> > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms

> &k=Investment+management+software&w1=I

nvestment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Inve

stment+property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+a

nalysis+software&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=_XXUzbE9l5lGlZNcM
> > u4KNQ> management software       Real
> > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms

> &k=Real+estate+investment+software&w1=

Investment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Inv

estment+property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+

analysis+software&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=5_sgDczz3ArKGMtJ
> > 9tFSJA> estate investment software       Investment
> > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms

> &k=Investment+property+software&w1=Inv

estment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Invest

ment+property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+ana

lysis+software&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=_N6zcwefgp4eg5n6oX5
> > WZw> property software
> > Software
> > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms

> &k=Software+support&w1=Investment+mana

gement+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investment+propert

y+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis+softwa
> > re&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=MJ2jP31F3n64RDZkDadU8w>
support
> > Real
> > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms

> &k=Real+estate+investment+analysis+sof

tware&w1=Investment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+softwa

re&w3=Investment+property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+in

vestment+analysis+software&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=GmF8PlA

24 Hours. Commission-Free.