[amibroker] Re: Newbie question

Hi Graham,

I will try to rephrase/simplify my question. Say you have event A
taking place at random time T1 and event B taking place at random
time T2. There is no technical indicator to connect the two - both
are just formations (could happen at any time). I place a fixed buy
stop once A AND B = TRUE for the rest of the day. That buy stop does
not get activated till sometime later in the day if ever, again
formations. AFL evaluates code you write every time for each new bar,
which means that there is no way of passing fixed info from one bar
to another, because on every bar every member of the array has to be
reassigned again - x=ref(x,-1) does not work because compiler
complains about x not being initialized (correct).

To summarize my question: if i evaluate stocks on a 1 min bar how do
I store a value I calculate at 10AM on a 1 min bar to keep that value
persistent for the rest of the trading day. AFL resets all variables
on each bar, which prevents me from storing any values.

int x = 0;
foreach(Bar bar in minuteBars){
   if(bar.Time()=="10AM")
      x = bar.High()+magicNumber;
   if(bar.High()>x && x!=0)
     Buy = 1;
}
AFL from my understanding has a limited number of nested scopes.
It seems that in AFL there is no way to define x the way it is done
in here because AFL assumes that you can only write code within that
foreach loop - AFL evaluater acts as a loop, which if true is really
really bad.

Are there any workarounds?

Thanks.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Graham <kavemanperth@xxxx> wrote:
> Steve
> For a starter at AFL seems like you want to jump in te deep end. I
> would suggest you start with one item at a time rather than try to
> code everything at first attempt
>
> to define the value of a variable just use
> VariableName = 10;
> The value will not change throughout the entire AFL, unless you give
> it a different value later on within the AFL
> You may only need to use the function function if you really need to
> define a new custom function for multiple uses with different inputs
>
> To use an array value at a certain time (or when any other specific
> occurence is true) use the function Valuewhen
>
> Other than that am confused on what your problems are.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Graham
> AB-Write >< Professional AFL Writing Service
> Yes, I write AFL code to your requirements
> http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_kavan/ab_write.htm
>

> On 9/24/05, sibir61 <sibir61@xxxx> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am a newbie with a system, so I have a couple of questions about
> > coding up price formation based trading system. I need to set up
global
> > variables that are global not for a current bar, but for a whole
system
> > and/or for a certain time period: I would like to calculate buy
stop
> > price at 10AM everyday once and use that number for the rest of
the
> > day. I was not able to find any meaningful way to do so - the
UserGuide
> > refers to global variables vs local variables within functions -
still
> > for 1 bar, regardless of the timeframe. I, however, need global
> > variables defined within the entire execution cycle. How do I do
that?

> > More detailed example: I prefilter stocks based on previous day's
ATR
> > action. If it satisfies my condition then I sit tight the next
day till
> > 10AM when I determine today's price target based on H/L values.
Then I
> > combine the two conditions/prices to determine the entry buy
stop. This
> > is done just once for a day - not on every bar. Profit target is
also
> > just an entry price + certain range = fixed target during the
day. I am
> > having difficulty convincing Amibroker to store those values and
not
> > recalculate them on every bar. I trade on a 1 min bar time range.
> >
> > Steve

24 Hours. Commission-Free.