[amibroker] Re: Volume Charting Q's for the beta version

Tomasz,

Thank you for the response.  Glad to see the volume chart bars are
equal volume and not like the weird unequal bars of Sierra Charts.

Many Thanks,

BG

\--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko"
<amibroker@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Is there a manual for the beta version?
>
> All new features are listed in the READ ME that accompanies beta
and
> is posted also here. (see exceprt below)
>
> > Does the beta version handle volume charts using an IB data feed?
>
> Yes
>
> > Are there any limitations on the volume size; I typically use
250,
> > 500, 600, 1000, 3000 volume based charts?
>
> No.
>

> > How is the IB volume data handled in creating the volume charts?
For
> > example, Sierra Charts waits until the next volume data is
available
> > and puts the total volume amount in one bar even if it exceeds
the
> > requested volume chart size (bars are not equal in volume size)
> > whereas, Fibonacci Trader takes just enough volume to finish that
> > bar and starts working on another bar with the remainder of that
> > volume data.
>
> In AB bars are equal in volume, as they should (reminder is taken
over to next nar)
> - so from your description the same like FT.
>

> > Can I overly a 50 CCI study from a 13 minute timeframe over
another
> > 50 CCI study based on a 600 volume chart?
>
> Yes but only when underlying selected time frame is "common
factor" of
> two. (possible if selected interval is tick chart)
>

> Excerpt from the read me:
>
> CHANGES FOR VERSION 4.71.0 (as compared to 4.70.5)
>
> (skipped some)
>
> Added N-volume bars charts and timeframe support.
>
> Custom N-volume bar intervals are definable (as usual) in Tools-
>Preferences->Intraday.
>
> TimeFrame functions were also extended to support N-volume bars
using new TimeFrameMode() function calling

> TimeFrameMode( 0 );
>
> - switches time frame functions to time-based operation (the
default)

> TimeFrameMode( 1 );
>
> - switches time frame functions to N-tick operation (positive
values passed to TimeFrameSet are treated now as N-tick)

> TimeFrameMode( 2 );
>
> - switches time frame functions to N-volume bar operation
(positive values passed to TimeFrameSet are treated nowas N-volme
bars)

> Example:
>
> TimeFrameMode( 2 );
> TimeFrameSet( 50000 ); // 50'000 share bars..
> ...do something ...
> TimeFrameRestore();
>

> Note: N-volume bars are somewhat weird (compression of data to N-
volume bar may actually deliver MORE output bars - for example if
> one tick is 1000 shares and you have specified 100V bars then
single tick will be expanded to TEN 100V bars - ten times original
> size)
> TimeFrame functions are protected against array overrun and will
not decompress beyond original array size (you will get an "Error
> 47. N-volume bar compressed data longer than base time frame").
> Also switching main time frame to some weird N-volume bar value
will result in limiting the output to maximum twice original data
> size(without error message).
> You should keep that in mind and avoid using too small N-volume
bar intervals that could lead to such condition.
> Also due to the nature of N-volume bars the only TimeFrameSet()
function will yield correct N-volume bar values, TimeFrameGetPrice()
> may give slightly distorted results.
> It is also possible to use n-volume bars in TimeFrame functions
without calling TimeFrameMode() - it is then necessary to specify
> n-volume bars as negative number offset by -1000000 (minus one
million):

> TimeFrameSet( -1000000 - 2000 );
>
> // gives 2000V barsSimilarly formatted negative numbers will be
reported by Interval() function when n-volume bars are selected.

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

24 Hours. Commission-Free.