[amibroker] Why I use CSI data (was Who is using CSI's Unfair Advantage with AmiBroker)

--- eric paradis <thechemistrybetweenus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What exactly does unfair advantage do?
> Thanks,
> Eric

"Unfair Advantage" is the marketing name CSI uses for its
charting and data services. I have never used UA's charting
(except to verify that a download includes the most recent
day's data).

I use UA for its data.

I uss its data because it includes "inactive" stocks (as
well as having actual trading prices).

Virtually all reasonably priced data provides remove
"inactive" stocks. Such databases are fine for trading
(stock picking). They could also be "OK" if one is only
going to "hobby" trade with a small amount of "speculative"
capital that could all be lost without any financial
hardship. But if one is using "serious" money, then one
should be using data that includes "inactive" stocks.

Now it is possible to use a database that does not include
inactives to compare profit potential of various
strategies: i.e., to determine if strategy A is better than
strategy B.

But because such databases have a "survivorship" bias, back
testing may significantly underestimate the maximum
drawdown of any method. Personally, I need to know the
maximum drawdown so that I can determine what percentage of
my capital to trade with the method.

Also, if one knows the real drawdown of a method, one can
determine when the method has stopped working. Much more
could be said about determining when a method is broker and
when it is just having a temporary "off" period. Suffice it
to say, that I find this essential.

As you may guess, I am a cautious fellow by nature.

CSI has several other special features that I currently do
not use, but might be of interest to me in the future. CSI
can provide data for Canadian and British stocks
(international diversication which can easily be done if
one has a trading account with InterActive Brokers).

Also CSI can provide extensive data on futures for many
exchanges around the globe.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r7D80C/dlQLAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM