Re: [amibroker] Re: Strategy code help please

Thanks for that, appreciate. Below is a long winded response, but will probably save me answering a lot of questions in the future :)
(Herbert this is also in response to your post requesting info)

As for interest, in each currency  a pair pays the interest applicable to that currencies i.e NZD currently pays 6.7%, JPY pays 0.1650%, AUD 5.2%, USD 3.1%, MXN 8.7% and so on.
Now a properly managed & diversified basket of currencies allows you earn interest with little risk. You buy/sell currencies that no matter which way they move will earn you interest and cancel out the fluctuations on that pair.
These are known as carry trades.
An example, for sake of simplicity using one currency pair. I look for, in this case negatively correlated pairs. i.e one moves up, the other moves. The higher the correlation the better.
Now NZDUSD & USDJPY have a 100 day correlation of -90
Therefore I buy both currencies in such a ratio to give me a synthetic cross of NZD/JPY. The US$ component is nil.
Now NZD is paying 6.7% on the bid. JPY is charging 0.165% on the ask. Now I've in fact bought  X amount units of NZD &  Sold  X amount of JPY.
In FX you earn interest on the base currency ( the one on the left and pay interest on the other ( on the right)
So the interest in this case is 6.5% *payable* to me. If the interest rates had been the otherway around i.e NZD 0.165 & JPY 6.7 I'd be *charged* 6.5%.

Now to purchase say 10000 units of each currency requires AU$443 margin. I'm earning approx $1.80/day in interest. Without compounding that's $657/yr.
So the whole idea of carry trades is to buy/sell pairs that:
a) diversify and balance out your basket i.e not highly correlated between the pair groupings.
b) Buy/sell highly correlated individual pairs that will always be interest positive or neutral.

I use Oanda as my FX broker. They are one of the very few I'd trust as they have a fine track record and many advantages over most so called FX "bucketshops" They also pay interest second by second unlike say IB that only pays on monthly balances. If you wish check out the Oanda forums as there is a wealth of info there from a number of traders that use carry trades to generate a substantial amount of their trading income. An Aussie known by the nym ~chaffcombe has a page discussing his strategy  http://users.bigpond.com/morleym/
Also check some of these Oanda links I'd posted earlier in another forum discussing carry/grid trades

cheers