[amibroker] Need help with install errors

A friend installed AmiBroker. When he created a new database and
tried to access AmiQuote he got an error and AmiQuote never came up.
However, it worked fine from the Data database that is shipped an an
example database. In this case AmiQuote comes up and starts to
download data.

I could not figure out what was going on so installed AmiBroker on
my print server and copied the key there so it would appear to be
registered and I could save data.

Follows are the steps I told him to take and that I also followed.

I installed for test on my  print server which has Windows 98SE.
Install AB in c:\Program Files\AmiBroker
Create a folder C:\AmiBroker
Create a subfolder C:\AmiBroker\AmiQuote
I put my US Stocks.tls in C:\AmiBroker\AmiQuote
Then I launched AmiBroker, created a new database in c:\AmiBroker,
called it US Stocks, and set the option to load it on startup.
When I clicked Tools\Auto-update I got an error that indicated
AmiQuote was not working or was not there.
Then I went back and changed to the shipped test database Data and
tried Tools\Auto-update and that worked.
It started to download automatically. I stopped that.
Then in AmiQuote I pointed to US Stocks.tls in C:\AmiBroker\AmiQuote
It started to import the data and I stopped it after it had
downloaded and imported some tickers
I went back to AB and the data was imported and the new tickers were
created in db Data.
Then I changed to database US Stocks and tried Tools\Auto-update
This time it worked OK and I picked the US Stocks tls and started to
download data. I stopped it after it had downloaded and imported
some tickers.
I went back to AB and there they were.
I closed AB and then started it again. US Stocks comes up as the
default db and now all seems to work well. When I click on
Tools\Auto-update AmiQuote comes up as it is supposed to.
What happened? Why did it work this time but not the first time?

It did not seem that Quote.exe was on my friend's system. I had him
search the folders on his system for quote.exe and he did not find
it. I looked in c:\AmiBroker\AmiQuote and Quote.exe was there on my
system. But he said he could not see it. I am not sure if he has
Windows Explorer set up to show program or all files in the folder
options. I do on my system. He said he had something like Forex.exe
instead of Quote.exe in C:\Program Files\AmiBroker\AmiQuote, but
when I looked on both of my systems Quote.exe was there and no
Forex.exe. Interestingly he can use the shipped Data database and it
works on his system so maybe it was the files options.

Can someone tell me what is going on or what step we did wrong? I am
totally stumped. I did not see anything in the install path that
would default to Forex. But my install worked. One thing I did that
he did not do during install was to unchecked all the Real time data
components. I knew I did not need any of them so I unchecked them.
He did not because he was not familiar with AB and just installed
the whole thing. But even then I could not open AmiQuote from my new
database the first time. How crazy is that?

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r7D80C/dlQLAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM