[amibroker] Re: Creating Indexes with AddToComposite

"averaged to yield % change"

An example would be  -  you have 4 stocks.  You compute the % change
for each for today. Say +1%, +2%, +3%, +4%, the average gain would be:

1+2+3+4 / 4 = 2.5%

If you invested 10,000 in each stock, your portfolio would have
increased by 40,000 * 0.025 = $1000

Now if you stored the daily % change in a foreign stock using the
AddToComposite function, a plot of that
PlotForeign("^foobar", "Port %" , . . . ) would produce a graph of the
% gain/loss in your portfolio.

I will produce a version of my code that is "suitable for framing" and
publish it here in the next day or so. (It currently is too hacker-ish
for publication)

Reef-Break

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxxx> wrote:
> Reef,
>

> That's an interesting approach.    When you say, ".then averaged to
yield
> the % change.".   Is this an MA of the summed values?  Or is this
something
> else?
>

> FYI, I'm experimenting with an AD index, a simple summation index, a
custom
> Money Flow index (like CMF but using True Range and computed for
markets,
> sectors and industries), and a new highs/lows index.   So far, the
summation
> index and DMF has shown the best signals, but I'm still testing.
>

> I'd like to experiment with your index.   I'll be happy to share my
code.

> Regards,
>

> Dan.
>

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of Ed Hoopes
> Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:07 PM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Creating Indexes with AddToComposite
>

> There is an additional type of index that I use.  When I trade, I buy
> a portfolio of stocks, and invest a equal dollar amount in each stock.
>
> To track this type of portfolio, it is useful to create an index in
> which the daily PERCENT change for each stock is calculated, then
> summed, then averaged to yield the % change for the portfolio.
>
> I realize that if you already own the stocks, you can do the same with
> your portfolio value.  But I find this valuable when exploring
> historical data, new groups of stocks or wanting to look at a subset
> of the positions I currently have.
>
> Reef-Break
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxxx> wrote:
> > Tomasz,
> >

> > Thanks for the great feedback.   Two questions, though.
> >

> > 1.       I agree that the High and Low of the day can occur at any
> time, but
> > for EOD purposes, why would High-Low values be any different than
> Open-Close
> > values?
> >

> > 2.       Regarding unweighted indexes vs. weighted indexes (including
> > cap-weighted), do you have any links or references that I can use to
> > research:
> >

> > *      What are the benefits of weighted versus unweighted indexes?
> > When/why would you use one versus the other?
> > *      How is the "weighting" of weighted indexes typically
calculated?
> > For example, is it done by simply multiplying the price time the
> number of
> > shares outstanding?
> >

> > Thanks and best regards,
> >

> > Dan.
> >

> >   _____

tment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investment+p

roperty+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis+soft
> > ware&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=_XXUzbE9l5lGlZNcMu4KNQ>
> > management software
> >
> > Real

> > &k=Real+estate+investment+software&w1=Inve

stment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investment+

property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis+sof
> > tware&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=5_sgDczz3ArKGMtJ9tFSJA>
> estate
> > investment software
> >
> > Investment

> > &k=Investment+property+software&w1=Investm

ent+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investment+pro

perty+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis+softwa
> > re&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=_N6zcwefgp4eg5n6oX5WZw>
> property
> > software
> >

> > Software

> > &k=Software+support&w1=Investment+manageme

nt+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investment+property+softwa

re&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis+software&w6=Invest
> > ment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=MJ2jP31F3n64RDZkDadU8w>  support
> >
> > Real

> > &k=Real+estate+investment+analysis+softwar

e&w1=Investment+management+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=In

vestment+property+software&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+ana

lysis+software&w6=Investment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=GmF8PlAJASx0wrSaX5-Zlw>
> > estate investment analysis software
> >
> > Investment

> > &k=Investment+software&w1=Investment+manag

ement+software&w2=Real+estate+investment+software&w3=Investment+property+sof

tware&w4=Software+support&w5=Real+estate+investment+analysis+software&w6=Inv
> > estment+software&c=6&s=200&.sig=aMgGsKT4w29dMAYUzQUKzg>  software
> >

> >   _____
> >

> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >

> > *      Visit your group "amibroker
> > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker> " on the web.
> >
> > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >
> > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.
> >

> >   _____

> SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com

> http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
>

>   _____
>
> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>

> *	 Visit your group "amibroker
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker> " on the web.
>
> *	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>
> *	 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.
>

>   _____

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r7D80C/dlQLAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM