[amibroker] Strange happenings with AmiBroker....

The strangest thing has just happened, and I'm at a loss to explain it. Has anyone else experienced similar?

Let me explain:  I run AmiBroker, and have had no problems at all.  However, my brother-in-law and another colleague, both of whom bought AmiBroker on my recommendation, have had EXACTLY the same thing happen to them on the same day - yesterday!  In each case, they lost their templates for the display panes, and the data was reset to USA stocks and in a different part of the tree in the workspace listings on the left hand side.  When an Australian stock was entered, it couldn't find it.

Upon closer inspection, under Database Settings, EXACTLY the same thing had happened to both of them.  The data folder in Ami had been reset to C:\Program Files\Amibroker\Data instead of MyData which it used to be, and the Metastock Data Plugin setting had been changed to <Default>. A new "Data" folder had been created under the AmiBroker folder.  Many of the preference settings had been altered, including the number of bars to load etc, but once again, it was EXACTLY the same for both of their PCs.

I had to change the data folder in the main Preferences back from Data to MyData, then go into Database Settings and reset it to MyData (greyed out before) then change the data type back to Metastock Plugin.  Then close and reopen Ami to reload all the master files.  Most of everything then returned as normal, but the formulae for the price chart on the first pane was different and lacking the Interpretation.  This I fixed by copying and pasting from the formula in another pane into the first pane's formula, then saving it (to the Hidden section).

Finally, all is fixed and working normally again.

But - what on earth could have caused this problem on not one, but TWO computers, and in exactly the same way?  My suspicion turns to the data - they both use Paritech data.  I changed recently from Paritech to Norgate PremiumData Services, and have had no problems.  Could some type of data corruption have caused this?  It is extremely strange, to say the least....

Any clues most appreciated. :)

Help tsunami villages rebuild at GlobalGiving. The real work starts now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/njNroD/KbOLAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM