[amibroker] (OT) Re: AmiBroker Support

Is it?  I'm not sure.

Example:

A trader has a system with a 50/50 win/loss ratio.  Starting with
$10,000, he has three losing trades in a row with each costing him
10% of his existing equity.  Three losses, each 10%, $1,000, $900,
$810.  Average loss -10%, or (1000+900+810)/3 = $903.33.

>From his current equity of $7290, he has three winning trades that
bring him back even to $10,000 (it's $9999.87, to be precise).  Each
trade is a win of 11.111% of his existing equity,
(809.99+899.99+999.90)/3 = $903.29.

Using an expectancy formula calculated with percentage profit of
winning and losing trades would lead him to believe he had an edge of
1.111%, but he obviously doesn't since the average dollar amount of
his wins and losses are virtually the same.

Or if he took a larger hit of 30% on his first trade, bringing his
equity down from $10,000 to $7,000 and then had a big win of 42.85%
bringing him back even, he'd think he had a REALLY big edge when in
reality the dollar amount of both trades were the same.

Or am I looking at this the wrong way?  I'm not exactly a bookie.:)

Luck,

Sebastian

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <ftonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> Using $ as opposed to % in formulas like this is really only good
for
> the futures traders who tend to trade the same number of contracts
or
> dollar amounts for awhile ...
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sebastiandanconia"
> <sebastiandanconia@xxxx> wrote:
> > Sorry, I had to edit my first reply.  Let's try this again.:)
> >
> > In your expectancy formula, are you calculating Avg Profit and Avg
> > Loss as % (as it appears in your formula)? Because expectancy
> > formulas quote the profits and losses in dollar amounts, like
this:

> > (%Wins x Avg Profit $) - (%Losses x Avg Loss $)
> >
> > Could this account for the difference of opinion that you and
Tomasz
> > have? Expectancy tells you what dollar amount you can expect to
win
> > or lose per dollar amount risked.  However, the dollar amount
> risked
> > doesn't vary with leverage.  Buying $10,000 worth of a mutual
fund

> in
> > a cash account puts $10,000 at risk, but so does buying $10,000
of
> > that fund on margin with $5,000, it's just that you're borrowing
> the
> > other $5K.  Same thing when buying $10,000 worth of a mutual fund
> > that uses 2X leverage, still the same $10K at risk.  The amount
of
> > money risked is always the same, so the expectancy has to be the
> > same.
> >

> > Luck,
> >
> > Sebastian

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r7D80C/dlQLAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM