RE: [amibroker] Ticker COLUMN display in OTHER than Alphabetical order?

Tomasz,

This is an AB enhancement that I would like to see – enhanced Watchlist (and Exploration) functionality.

The problem is that exporting data to another application reduces or eliminates AB’s added-value.  Data in another app is just dumb data.   You have to build analysis tools in that app to crunch the data further.  In many cases, you then need to import the data back into AB.   At minimum, this is a major pain.   Many times, it is not logistically feasible.

Exploration or Scan data in AB has massive added value.   Color coding and sorting Exploration results provide meaning and highlight key points in the raw data.   That’s great, but there is no place to store the data!

Loading Exploration data to a Watchlist eliminates almost all of its meaning.  Exporting data to another app like Excel allows you to sort it.  To analyze further, you have to create Excel formulas.   And what happens when you want to see details such as a symbol’s chart or the symbol sector’s chart?    You have to manually enter the symbol in AB or import data back into AB.  Yes, you CAN do it.  But the process is a hassle and you quickly stop.   (I’ve been there, done that!)

Taken to its extreme, we don’t even need AmiBroker – we can do everything AB does with a pencil and paper.  So why use AB?  Obviously because it’s way easier and faster!

IMO, AB is the most advanced financial analysis/charting system available.  Its analytical engine is second to none – fast, powerful and extensible.  But…

AB’s analytical engine has outstripped AB’s ability to display and manage result data.  External tools can be developed, but this is core functionality.  We need the native ability to display, sort and save Exploration results to a more usable “data bucket”.

My guess is that enhancing Watchlists (or creating a new structure) would require modifying data structures and would be a major effort.  However, for many of us this is a critical enhancement.

Thanks and regards,

Dan.