RE: Off Off Topic Re: [amibroker] Re: I'm an artist not a coder....

Joe,

I agree; programming is an art.   I am a software developer professional by profession.  At one point in my life, I wanted to be an artist and went to art school.  I’ve found that these go hand in hand.

What is little understood is that in many (most?) cases programming solutions are NOT logical.  They are gestalts taken from a myriad of inputs, many of which are not quantitative.

People think programmers are very logical because, when asked how they figured out a solution, the programmers say, “Well it’s:  A à B à C à D à E.  Simple.”  Their real thought process is an intuitive leap – “A à E”.   No steps!   It’s a gestalt, an “inspiration”, or “It just popped into my head”.

So why the disconnect?   Because when asked, the programmer reverse-engineers the process on the spot.  I.e., it is only AFTER achieving the end result that the programmer figures out the intermediate steps.   In many cases, they describe a pseudo process only to satisfy others.

Many times I can’t really tell you how I came to a solution.   It just “felt” right.

Quick Story…

Several years ago I was in a meeting with one of our customers from the Accounting department.   Six of us programmer-types were chatting in a meeting room while waiting for the customer.  The conversation came to “What’s your degree?”  It turned out that NONE of us had a Computer Science degree.

So we started laughing.   At that point our Accounting customer walked in and said, “What are you guys laughing about?”    We explained why.   He started laughing his head off.  When he dried his eyes, he told us that his degree was in Computer Science!  J

Best regards,

Dan.