Re: [amibroker] Export Data from Laptop to PC - essential files

Hi,

I'm presently working on a write up (for my user's group and possible Wiki candidate??) to identify and describe the "critical" files of AB with a view as to what is needed to back up (archive), transfer settings and such for AB.  For a future version, I've made a suggestion direct to AB support (to Tomasz and Marcin, but haven't  gotten any comment back yet), is a back up and restore function (like TC2005 has).  What I have gotten in discussions with Marcin with regard to your question is the following:
Generally - the easiest way is to copy the entire AB folder and database folder, but.. to be more specific - if you're using AB 4.70, you should copy:

- FORMULAS folder - contains all the indicators
- "broker.newcharts" file (contains GRID settings for the indicators
displayed)
- AmiBroker / LAYOUTS folder (contains global layout files)
- database folder (contains the data, studies drawn and its Layouts
subfolder holds local layouts)
- broker.prefs - (preferences settings)
- broker.params (custom parameters settings)
- broker.layers (information about chart layers)

Best regards

Marcin Gorzynski
Amibroker.com Technical Support

Personally, I don't think copying the entire AB folder is the easiest procedure, unless one is networked or has a removable HD storage device.  My AB folder is too large to entirely fit on a memory stick (even without the main program and help file),  however if one doesn't need to copy the program itself, nor the help or database files, then it can be done with several 1GB flash drives.

However there is a situation where it might be better to just copy the entire AB folder -- that is when you have a lot of customized charts with chart studies drawn on them which you don't wish to try to redraw.  Why, you ask?  The studies on your charts (trendlines, Fibonacci, text notes, etc.) are stored in the individual symbol files in the database folder.  So to transfer these studies you not only have to copy the database symbol files, but you must also copy all the layouts as well as the contents of the Formulas folder.  This is because each trendline is assigned to the chart window recognized by its CHART ID -- at present a unique # for each chart in a window.  (BTW, this is why you can't presently draw a TL in one pane of an AB window and have it replicate on another [seemingly identical] pane in the same window, although you can replicate studies between windows.)  The upshot is that if that chart (with the same Chart ID) is not displayed - the trendline will not be visible either, even if the symbol file in the database is transferred.  Tomasz has said that a future version will rework the Chart ID issue so that studies can be shared between charts within one window.

And hence my request for a back up and restore feature although I can see difficulties in implementation as studies are in the symbols files and linked to the Chart ID and layouts.
Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick