Re: [amibroker] Re: I want to Automate my trading - me too

Thank you for your time and response Mike.

Your brief summation was very useful. I downloaded and
played with  Amibroker yesterday. It will take me
time. My needs are many and mostly intraday. I see I
have a lot of learning to do. I can't see myself
spending $200 a month when I can get things done with
Amibroker at a much reasonable cost. For Automation, I
have decided that maybe Strategy Runner is a better
alternative since, with their automated service, I do
not have to have my computers turned on 24/7.

As I peruse the posted history, I find this to be a
knowledgeable group. I hope to avail myself of the
knowledge posted herein and in due time I should be
able to reciprocate as my own knowledge grows. Thanks
to all who took the time to reply to my question. I
fully appreciate your time and kind replies.

TJ

--- mikelaurataylor <mikelaurataylor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am in exactly the same boat but about 2 months
> ahead of you.   Let
> me share what I've done/learned and hopefully we can
> get more
> insight from others.
>
> 2 months ago I looked at the options and decided to
> purchase
> AmiBroker along w/ an Esignal datafeed.   My goal
> was to do some
> automated trading w/ my IB account using either the
> plug-in or
> Databullet, which various folks have said works
> pretty well.
>
> The learning curve was relatively steep - it took me
> a while to
> think in terms of "Arrays" and oftentimes I still
> get stuck because
> of this but usually through the board and/or support
> I get quick
> answers.
>
> I have been very impressed with the systems ability
> to scan end of
> day data, for instance (I download end of day data
> from yahoo) and
> allow me to identify certain stocks I might want to
> trade the next
> day.  It can run through the whole market pretty
> quickly.   I have
> also runs  tons and tons of backtests and it works
> great.
>
> So far my one issue or concern dealt more w/
> real-time intraday
> activities.   Not that there was anything wrong with
> it - just that
> I don't love the interface for it.   Meanwhile
> Tradestation was (and
> may still be) running a special where as long as you
> open an account
> and deposit 30K you can test their platform free for
> 30 days; so I
> recently decided to do it (I had started the
> application process
> before I even got AmiBroker) - just to understand
> how the products
> compare.    I love their interface and find it more
> intuitive to
> watch stocks during the day (not my main goal but a
> nice bonus).  I
> find it much easier to customize the charts,
> interface, etc. with
> it.
>
> At this point I'm considering a few scenarios...
>
> 1. Keep Amibroker along w/ the free yahoo data
> download to run daily
> scans then put these watch lists into Tradestation
> for day time
> monitoring and automated trading.   Tradestation
> won't cost that
> much more than Esignal, which I will no longer need.
>  Downside:
> Need to become familiar w/ 2 languages to make use
> of both
> effectively.
>
> 2. Swith to Tradestation.   So far I really really
> like the power to
> build and scan w/ Amibroker and the backtesting and
> for that matter
> [...]
=== message truncated ===