[amibroker] Re: option chains

I totally agree with everything you said. The problem is I'm not
going to use AB for option trading - just for backtesting. If you
know option soft with backtesting ability at least with half
functionality of that of AB, please, name it. The problem I described
earlier (which can prevent usage of AB for my backtesting needs) is
the only I could see at the moment.

With kind regards, Dmitri

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lesmond V" <ebsn247@xxxx> wrote:

> Updating symbols of US options is probably a full time job for
people
> who manage databases at night at companies like eSignal. US
exchanges
> use old and outdated coding system that was developed years back
when
> there were realatively few optionable stocks.
>
> I'm not sure if you realize that there are no strict rules for
> creating root symbols. Only month call/put identifiers follow strict
> rules. The strike price identifiers and the root symbols are all
> arbitrarily created by option exchanges. You have to get all this
> data first from your data provider or straight from the exchange
> (CBOE, ISEX, AMEX, etc.).
>
> I don't see how you could efficiently use AmiBroker alone for
options
> trading. AB is an excellent chart analysis software but for options
> you need multiple real time quote sheets where you could enter and
> then save all the strike symbols in the order of your choice. You
> need a separate quote sheet for every stock that you monitor and
> there is a hundred or more symbols on each quote sheet.
>
> I don't have eSignal but I assume it has automatic "option chain
> import" feature, so does QCharts. I used QC a few years ago: option
> chains were all messed up and there were lots of missing quotes.
> Esignal's data quality should be ok but the feed is pricey.
>
> Until AB improves its quote sheets and offers "option chain import"
> feature I would recommend SierraChart software with MyTrack feed for
> monitoring your option chains (you can create hundreds of quote
> sheets and it won't cost a fortune). Or, if you don't mind paying a
few times as much to get the same thing, you can use eSignal
software. Then you can use AmiBroker for all the other tasks like,
chart analysis, explorations and trading systems, the areas where AB
excels.