[amibroker] Qts' on differing results in system testing

Allow me to set up the situation before asking the qts. I've recently
purchased AB and am a newcomer to AFL.  I tend to write systems based
on simple bar patterns since those are easiest to program.  I study
bar charts and have noticed a bar pattern that can be taken advantage
of by selling short ONLY.  I wrote the program to backtest it (1 line
only with 4 additional lines for Short, Shortprice, Cover, Coverprice
rules).  Its non-optimized.  The trade settings are $100k, no margin,
$18/trade, buy next day and sell on close.  I tested it on ^DJI index
on walk forward basis - meaning, I started on 3/28/72 (picked at
random) to 3/27/73 and backtested and then 'walked forward' each year
to 2005.  The results are outstanding!  One losing year (-7%) and the
rest winning years ranged from 3% to 100+%.  Highest system drawdown
is under 30%.
When I tested the system on DIA on walkforward from 2000 to 2005, my
results were still excellent but less than ^DJI.  For e.g - one yr, I
got 122% net profit on ^DJI and 33% on DIA.  When I tested ^RUT and
IWM, I got opposite results.  ^RUT net profits for 1 yr were 20+% but
IWM was 88%.  For ^NDX, net profit was 300+% for 2000-2001 but QQQQ
for same time period was 404%.
QTS - Can system results be SO DIFFERENT when testing between indexes
and etf's ?
I have never traded futures before - and my question is - do futures
follow the index exactly or are they different like etf's?
I use Yahoo EOD data.