[amibroker] VectorVest data in Amibroker

If you want to back test VV data in an automated way, your
only option is their proprietory test which is priced in
the thousands I believe.

Today it is virtually impossible to use VV data in a third
party program, although that was not always the case.

A few years ago, VV made it possible for subscribers to
export its data for use in third party programs. In fact,
version 5 of VV had a built in export feature that allowed
the exporting of its entire database into a csv file. Now
the export file was huge (about 500 - 900 MB) and one had
to write one's own reformating program to put that csv data
into an structure that would fit into Amibroker. Amibroker
only has 6 data fields per bar, whereas VV had 20 or more
per bar. One solution was to write an program to create
"2ndary" tickers to hold the extra data items and then
using AB's Foregin call to access the data during testing.
The entire progess from exporting, reformating, importing,
took several hours. OK for creating a "research" database
once a month.

Although VV gave version 5 users the ability to export
data, VV apparently did want third party programmers to do
the same thing. No SDK was listed. Also, If you look
through the archives, you will find a few posts showing
that Tomasz attempted to get VV permission for linking AB
to the VV databases. No such link ever appeared. That was a
major disappointment to me.

When VV brought out version 6, the built in option to
export of all its data was removed. The data was still
openly available - no password was needed - to those VV
subscribers who understood the new database structrured
used by version 6 (SQL). I did not attempt to write any
program to export the SQL database because at thet time, a
program called "EasyTest" appeared.

EasyTest could directly quiried the Access data of version
5 and the SQL database of version 6. EasyTest was a free
program that required an active subscription to VV to run
(so VV's data revenue stream was not affected).
Nevertheless, VV was not happy and EasyTest soon
disappeared.

Soon thereafter, an upgrade appeared for version 6 which
added password access to the SQL database. Now one can not
even look at the SQL database's contents.