[amibroker] Re: AFL Library

George,

Another very helpful tip is to always check the Archives. Many times
the same question has already been asked. You have to download the
Archives, but it is much better than using "search" on the yahoo
group.

http://www.amibroker.com/listarchive.html

There is a time lag on getting things into Archived, but it is very
useful.

Brian

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mrdavis9" <mrdavis9@xxxx> wrote:
> George, I can really sympathize with your situation.  I was
studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Oklahoma in the
mid sixties, and took a very short Fortran course where we used
punch cards to program a heat flow equation.  That course was the
end of my programming until I started to try to use Amibroker.

> Luckily, my son had already started to learn how to use
Amibroker.  If it were not for him, I don't know if I could have
learned it.

> I still find it almost impossible to under stand most of the HELP
explanations written  are written for programmers, with very few if
any examples of a real life, practical of the AFL function being
described.

> The very active users on this Amibroker board have been superb at
helping those of us who need help. However, they rightfully don't
want to spoon-feed every bite to us as we are learning how Amibroker
works, and how the AFL language works.

> The only advice I can give you is to do as I have done, and do
your best to understand what the USER manual explanations mean, and
then ask this board for help in trying to get your mind around it.

> I will start you off with something that is very basic, and
hopefully, relatively easy for you to start testing.

> Lets assume that you want to create a custom indicator that
notifies you each time that the 14 day moving average of StochK has
crossed the 14 day moving average of StochD.   The AFL code for this
is "Cross(Stochk(14),StochD(14));"

> Now Click on "Analysis" at the top of the Amibroker screen, then
click on the menu item, "Indicator Builder, then click on "Add" and
you will then see a blank Editor screen.

> On your keyboard type the following, or else you can copy and
paste it in.

> Title="Stk14xStd14";
>
> Stk14xStd14=Cross(StochK(14),StochD(14));
>
> Plot(Stk14xStd14,"Stk14xStd14",colorRed,styleOwnScale);
>
> What I have given you here is the kind of help that my son gave me
that got me started.  Unfortunately, the last time I tried to use
the user manual, there were very few if any of these simple
explanations.

> I read this board a lot, and since I understand the need that many
of us have to be given a working example of a code in order to learn
it, I am more than willing to do my best to help you in your
learning curve.  Ron D

3/25/2005