From: nikku [mailto:nikku@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 1:45 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Trailing sttops

Hello

The answer involves an analysis of this part of the code - keep it in
mind for what follows

*pct=IIf((MA(C,2)-buyat)/buyat > MinGainPct,trailPct,9999);*

MinGainPct is expressed as .04 because of the* (MA(C,2)-buyat)/buyat*
element of this line of code. Let's say that the close for the past two
days has been $10.00. We have bought at $10.50. The calculation for
'pct' would then be

MA(C,2)-buyat/buyat

($10-$10.5)/$10.5 =  app.-0.0476

At this moment,

*(MA(C,2)-buyat)/buyat IS NOT GREATER THAN MinGainPct

*(Remember, MinGainPct has been set at 0.04; -0.476 is clearly not
greater than 0.04)
*
*so the 'pct' variable will feed the trailing stop with 9999; in other
words, the trailing stop will kick in when 9999% of the profit has been
given back - this is just a way to say 'The trailing stop is NOT activated'.

Now let's say the closing price goes up and one day  we close at $12.20;
the day before this, the close was $11.80. The MA(C,2) in this case will
be $12.00. If we insert this new number into the formula, we get

MA(C,2)-buyat/buyat

($12-$10.5)/$10.5 =  app.0.143

At this moment,

*(MA(C,2)-buyat)/buyat IS GREATER THAN MinGainPct (which is 0.04)

*Now the 'pct' variable will feed the trailing stop with the 'trailpct'
value because the conditions for activation of the trailing stop have
been met  - that is,
(MA(C,2)-buyat)/buyat [which now equals 0.143] has been calculated to be
greater than the MinGainPct (0.04).

Of course you can change the value of MinGainPct to suit your needs.

Trailstop does signify the amount you allow the trade to retrace (once
it gets past the MinGainPct threshold) before exiting.

Hope this helps

--
The majority meet with failure because of their lack of persistence in
creating new plans to take the place of those which fail.

Check group FAQ at: