RE: [amibroker] OT:Re: Technical Vs technofundumental trading -- For Steve Dugas

Hi Ron,

This is what I am set to find out, basically through extensive testing, in the coming weeks. First thing I'd like to clarify though is that what you are really talking about are entry signals and not systems. Entry signals, although important, are only a very small part of a successful system.

These are my observations up to now:

Whenever I try detecting a reliable price pattern - e.g. Cup and Handle I find that my resultset it too small (<100 trades per year (EOD data)) to be able to say if it is reliable or not. I am not sure how i can improve this - for the time being I am using the US-stocks database available on the amibroker website.

All entry signals which I tried designing based on any of the "common" indicators (Stoch, CCI, RSI etc..) or a combination thereof, and which give a large-enough result set to determine if it gives constant results or not, never seem to give a result better than random entry.

I perform my testing on an entry signal as follows:

A) Time Base Test

1) I set up multiple timeframes for my testing scenario
2) I run a test run using a random entry and a 5 day time based stop for each of those timeframes, and record the % of winning trades
3) I run a test run using my entry signal and check whether the # of trades is greater or less than the random entry benchmark
4) Repeated over several timeframes I see whether the result is consistent or not.

B) PL Ratio Test

Same as above, but I set 2 stops - one is a Max Stop Loss and one is a Profit Stop, which is set to a multiple of the Max Stop Loss. Again here I see the number of winning trades over losing trades. The higher the ratio, the less winning trades. I personally try my tests using a mutiple of 4.

I personally would never use a system where the sell condition is the inverse of the buy condition (e.g. Stoch - Buy on xover of 30, sell on xover of 70) as this type of system for me is totally uncontrollable and will not apply to my current style of trading. Usually, when adding a stoploss to such a basic system, the results are disappointing.

I am still very new to Amibroker (4 weeks) and trading in general (1 year experience, mostly negative, trading on fundumentals with tight stops - which i have come to realise is a losing setup). I have taken a break from trading activities, purchased Amibroker and I am determined to create a system which works for me. If there is anybody who can contribute with their own observations, or disagree with any of my observations above, I would really appreciate any comments.

regards,
Claude