[amibroker] OT: Optimization performance

Just a note on optimization performance with a recent new P4 computer.

925 chip set, recent P4 processor, 3.2 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 160 Gb HD.  This is
the current price/performance sweet spot.

This processor has hyper threading which means it only uses half its power
for any given application.  ie: a second application running at the same
time gets half the CPU cycles.

I thought this might slow down AB when it was the only main process running
so I tried turning hyper threading off.  Broker.exe was getting 50 % of the
CPU cycles before and it jumped up to the more familiar 99% of the CPU
cycles with HT off.

Unfortunately, processor speed is way ahead of memory access speed even
with 800Mhz FSB on the motherboard.  So the limiting factor is the time
required to retrieve the data from memory.  Bottom line is if you have a
new machine with hyper threading you might as well leave it activated as
turning it off will not speed up the optimization runs.

BTW, if any second application also needs memory access that will slow
things down further.  In addition,I find McAffee antivirus causes about a
40% speed penalty so I disable it when making long AB runs.

Cheers
Sid