RE: [amibroker] Re: OT: setting up more than 2 monitors

Hi Mark,

I’ve been very happy with products from Appian Graphics (http://www.appian.com) for years now.  I run 3 boxes, 2 with Typhoon dual head cards and one with the Radeon 9000 QD, their top line 4 head PCI card, however it is geared more for the 3D markets.  I’m waiting for March  when they will be releasing their Fire MV 2400, a 2D 4 head card, 248MB on board ram, and according to sales should be priced about $600 US retail at which time I’ll add it to one of my newest box and retire the oldest box to the back up department.  Screen space, like sailing boat length, is addictive.  From the news release on their website:

REDMOND, Wash. – October 26, 2004 - Appian Graphics, the leading provider of professional multi-display solutions, announced today a strategic alliance with ATI to market ATI’s new line of FireMV™ products to Appian’s customers in the financial trading, process control and distribution control markets. “This further strengthens our relationship with Appian Graphics,” said Dinesh Sharma, Director of Workstation Products Division for ATI. “ATI is very excited to leverage Appian’s ten years of multi-monitor experience in bringing this solution to market.” “Appian is proud to offer the FireMV™ line of products to our customers,” said Jim Greenup, president of Appian Graphics. “ATI’s leading-edge technology and Appian’s unique understanding of our customers’ multi-monitor requirements enable us to offer a complete solution to core multi-monitor markets such as financial trading, process control and distribution control.”
The FireMV 2200 delivers dual monitor support with 128 MB of memory, while the FireMV 2400 delivers quad monitor support with 256 MB of memory. Both models will be available in PCI and PCI Express configurations, with customer samples available Q1 2005.

The older Appian Rushmore is also still available as a 4 head card as well.  I assume that the card you are referring to from Traders World is the Colorgraphic Xentera GT4 – runs about $650.  Be certain that your system is compatible as it doesn’t work with everything and will require special bios in some cases – see http://www.colorgraphic.net/newsite/products/xentera_gt4_models.asp .  Perhaps your problems with the Matrox QID have a similar cause.  I have avoided Matrox cards over the years and know only one trader who runs one -- he’s not particularly tech savvy and his system (which was built for him) has a lot of problems which he can’t figure out (I naturally suspect it’s his video card).  I’ve spoken to Larry Jacobs at TradersWorld about the Xentera, but didn’t get a lot of explanation as to why he’s putting them in the systems he builds for traders – he used to use NVIDIA based cards exclusively.  Several vendors using NVIDIA chips have 4 head cards out there, however I’ve never run them and personally don’t care for their chip sets (they are beloved by the gamming set, however).  Still, if one were looking to gang several 2 head PCI cards, they might be a good choice as the compatibility issues should be minimal.  The Appian cards also can be dual slotted without problems.

Is it as simple as putting a PCI based dual card into an open PCI slot? Or will that PCI card create conflicts with my main AGP video card?
If you are running multiple cards, it is essential that they be from the same vendor and of the same generation to avoid driver conflicts.

Good luck and let us know what you think if you try the Xentera (or something else – I’ll report on the FireMV when I get it).

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick