Re: [trading] [amibroker] OT:Two DSL Services

When DSL gets ANYwhere near 8 mbps for $40/month I'll consider it as
that's what it would take to be competitive with the cable I have.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe Landry" <jelandry@xxxx> wrote:
> Yes, and I'd wager there are few ISPs that locate equipment in the
CO, so the CO switch, collecting everybody's DSL, SBCs, Netlink,
etc.  could very likely be SBC's hardware.  Not every ISP that offers
DSL runs copper to your house or installs switches in CO all over the
city. So you'll need an alternate path to get redundancy and that
would be cable as much as I hate to say it.
> The good news is that the switches are modular and maybe they'll
add a new, expand it, or run a new high capacity trunk from the CO to
the main ISP presence.

> JOE

misnomer. You do get a private line back to the CO which is only a
maximum of 15,000' or so from your house. From there you share
bandwidth with a whole bunch of users and that can certainly cause
major slowdowns. I have cable and tried to switch to DSL for the
upload bandwidth. With DSL installed I checked speeds and was
consistently getting only 300-700 kbps downstream with occasional
blips to 1MB and as low as 175 Kbps. I had Qwest come out and clean
the line back to the CO. The tech verified it was clean andt I should
be getting 1.5 Mbps as advertised. There was no change in performance
due to the shared line from the CO back to the Internet. On the other
hand, the upload was always 700-900 Kbps which only serves to prove
the down link is shared bandwidth.

>   BTW, my cable download speeds are consistently in excess of 2Mbps
with >200 kbps uplink speeds. I have Comcast and live in the Denver
area. I canceled my DSL hookup.

>   Terry
>
>   Steve wrote:
>     It's not a DSL line issue as such as DSL does not share
bandwidth, unlike cable. and I'd be surprised if it was an ISP
bandwidth issue *if* they're a large & reputable ISP. If you cannot
collect your mail from your local ISP, then could be a mail server
problem their end. Have you raised this issue with them? But first
thing I would be checking is your computer for trojans, virus etc,
especially if you've been compromised & you are now in fact acting as
a relay. This will max out your upload bandwidth, which in turn will
crucify your download capabilities.
>     cheers

1/21/2005

>     Check AmiBroker web page at: