From: Yuki Taga [mailto:yukitaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 January 2005 5:09 PM
To: sellcarad
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Help setting up initial database

Hi sellcarad,

s> Yuki,

s> With regard to the Metastock data, I already have back to around
s> 1998 on my hard drive.  With this data, do I simply need to use the
s> File/Import Metastock Data command?  If so, to what folder is it
s> imported?  Is a new AB folder?  Was your reference to Metastock data
s> plugin assuming I would be accessing the data from Metastock/Reuters?

First thing you have to do is, create a database.  Without creating a
database, you will not even be able to view your MS data in AB.

When you create a new database, one of the configuration options is
"enable local database".  Check it.  This enables AB to save your MS
database to a local AB database.  You will have redundant databases
in this case, but that is usually not a problem.  You will not be
able to write to or modify the MS data via AB.  You will have to use
whatever tools (Downloader or other tools) that you normally use to
modify or update the MS database.  In AB, that database is
essentially read-only.

But the local database that you enable in the configuration dialog
gives you a local AB database than can be modified or updated
directly via AB.  One note here: the MS database is always going to
be the master.  Should you modify yesterday's price on something in
the local database, but NOT in the MS database, the next time you
access the MS database, AB will use that MS data to overwrite your
local database.  So you will want to either 1) forget about your MS
database, import it to AB and simply start using AB to update it, or
2) continue to update with MS tools, in which case the MS database is
going to be the master, as far as AB is concerned.

When you create a new database, you will specify the name of the
folder where it is created.  AB will take care of the rest, according
to the configuration options you choose.

Small rant here:  If you create a database in a folder in the AB root
directory, the file menu on AB will give you a nice clean choice,
which will simply be the name of that database folder.  However,
should you plan to have several databases, you may not want to
clutter the AB root directory with them, and may want to make a
directory called 'Databases' first, then make your other DBs in
subfolders below that. Sadly, there is a drawback to this.  Now, the
file menu in AB will show the entire path to the database in the menu
item, instead of simply the name of the database folder.  This may be
a Windows programming problem, or something TJ has not considered; I
have no idea.

s> Thanks also for the information on culling down the larger database
s> to one meeting my criteria regarding price and volume.  That sounds
s> like a perfect solution.  I didn't want to download 7200+ everyday
s> when I was only interested in a much smaller subgroup.  Thanks again
s> for the help.

Sure,

Yuki