Re: [amibroker] comparative RS

Yuki,

I see what you mean, that example could use a little help!  I'll try and explain this the best I can.  There are two types of relative strength:  relative strength (RSI) of a security against itself and relative strength of a security to another security or index, derivative, etc.  When you use the RSI index it is essentially a relative strength comparison of a security to itself over a designated time period ~ if there was no time period set your software will plot a flat line!  When comparing a security to another security or index there is no need to select a time period because you are comparing apples to oranges not apples to apples.  The two securities are completely independent whereas when comparing a security to itself you need to use a time period to have some frame of reference to go off.

I suppose you could select a time period to run a scan to see how stock X did against the Topix over a one month period ~ that's perfectly reasonable.  There's a ton of different ways to use the comparative rel strength indicator; you can apply moving averages and trade off crossovers, use LT and ST moving averages to determine to overall health of the trend.  Actually, that is a way in which you can use time in the comp relative strength indicator - use different moving average periods.  I have two different rel strength panes I use:  a 10 & 30 day MA on my shorter term rel strength and then 50 & 100 period MAs on the longer term pane.  The shorter one will trigger signals much more quickly, and you could use it as a buy signal.  Then if you are a longer term trend trader pay more attention to the longer term rel str MAs to reduce turnover.

Another thing you do is buy MArtin Pring's "Technical Analysis Explained, 4th Edition".  It covers this concept in great detail and it's pretty cheap too.  I paid $24 USD on traderslibrary.com ~ I'm sure they ship to Japan.  Well worth the money.  I've probably read close to 100 different TA books and this is one of my favorites...... a great reference book.  Hope this helps!

Jason

Rakesh Sahgal <rakeshsahgal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is what I do:

[1] I generate industry indices using AB.

[2] all the indisutry indices are marked as indexes
using the property (index check box).

[3] They are kept in a separate group. The base index
for this group is set as the broad market index which
in my case is the NSE500. You could set any that is
relevant to your market.

[4] This gives you the relative strength of each
sector vis-a-vis the broad market.

HTH

Regards

Rakesh