[amibroker] Re: wrong Backtesting results:

Hi Franco,

Been busy, how about you?  The well hidden $100 bills on the ground is
exactly my thinking on the matter.  But the EMH theorist would say
that if they were real, someone would have already picked them up.
Personally, I put these folks in the same category as Mr. Duell:

"Everything that can be invented has already been invented."
-- Charles H. Duell, director of the U.S. Patent Office, 1899

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Franco Gornati <francogornati@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> how are you? you are meaning rationality, perhaps ex-post, aren't
you?
> even if bubbles have been modelized under the hypothesis of rational
> expectations, so that at least as long as the expected accelerating
> returns are enough to compensate the risk of a crash it seems to be
> rational to be invested.
> But I was thinking to the very possibility that there may always be
100
> bucks on the ground, because that's the equivalent of the
inefficiency
> of the market. (ok the bucks may be well hidden ..)
>

> quanttrader714 wrote
> >Hi Franco,
> >
> >I'm not sure that the concept of market efficiency as you've
outlined
> >it makes sense logically or empirically.  Logically, it ignores
trader
> >and investor psychology which has been empirically demonstrated
over
> >time by market manias from tulips in 17th century Holland to the
more
> >recent internet/tech bubble.
> >
> >--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Franco Gornati
<francogornati@xxxx>
> >wrote:
> >> Hi Pal,
> >> I understand your point but the concept of efficiency, in the
weak form,
> >> in financial markets is intended in another sense. It means that
it's
> >> not possible to extract information (make a rule) from past
prices that
> >> allows to make extra profit. If there were, the nature of the
markets
> >> (competition) would clear it out very fast.
> >> This would make any positive backtesting result (against a
benchmark and
> >> adjusted for the risk) a case of curve fitting.
> >> But the fact that both logically and empirically (with reserves)
it
> >> seems acceptable doesn't mean it's true. So I would have liked to
know
> >> if systematic traders, like Fred, were consistently satisfied of
their
> >> approach.
> >>
> >> Pal Anand wrote

market,