[amibroker] Re: Awesome trading system

Anthony,

Well, it is incomplete.  You are assuming an arbitrary %Risk/trade
and an arbitrary Adverse_move.  %Risk/trade is determined by the
PRRR mentioned before and %wins of your system.  Adverse_move is not
determined by volatility.  It depends on the fundamentals.  Also,
you are not taking into account, exchange rate, price change/row and
the value per market unit.  My algorithm is proprietary not because
of choice.  Your algorithm is good, but not good enough for me to
consider it a holy grail...

rgds, Pal
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Anthony Faragasso" <ajf1111@xxxx>
wrote:
> Even Trade size algorithm is proprietary these days.
>
> //Shares to buy
>
> Account=10000;
>
> Risk=.03;//3%
>
> Adverse_move=2*ATR(10);//points against.
>
> BuyPrice=C;
>
> SellPrice=BuyPrice-Adverse_move;
>

> shares = (Risk * account) / (BuyPrice - SellPrice);
>
> Filter=1;
>
> AddColumn(int(shares),"Shares",1);AddColumn
(BuyPrice,"BuyPrice");AddColumn(SellPrice,"Stop");

> AddColumn(shares*C,"cost");
>
> AddColumn(Adverse_move,"atr");

you win (your chance of winning is 50%) you make 200% of the amount
of money you placed in that bet. If you loose you loose it all
(100%). The question was how much of my account do I risk for each
bet. The answer is 25%.

>   Reading about your money management sounds to me like things I
am already using and really are pretty obvious. I spread my risk by
only using 5% om my account for each trading signal I get. Entry and
exit are carefully planned and I calculate my systems using "worst
case scenario" meaning if my entry signal tells me to enter on the
limit at 22$ (long position) and the price opens at 21.50$ my
backtest will chose 21.50$ as the buy price. In practice we will
always have some slippage. Therefor I test my systems to enter at my
buylimit (22$) or if the high that day was less than 22$ I enter at
the high. And ofcourse include a stoploss for each trade

>   I thought there was some kind of miracle fraction (the miracle
fraction method) I could calculate so that my profits would explode.

>   Ed

proprietary
>     algorithm.
>
>     Sorting out the criteria for a coherent money management plan
is a
>     complex, detailed job. Using a spreadsheet to keep track of
the
>     logic helps ensure nothing has been omitted.
>
>     With a little planning, you can develop a logically sound
money
>     management system. Historically, too much emphasis has been
placed
>     on the development of profitable entry and exit rules, whereas
the
>     determination of the proper number of contracts or shares to
trade
>     has been treated as a distant afterthought.
>
>     An individualized money management algorithm (using a
spreadsheet
>     program such as Microsoft Excel) will control the equity
growth of
>     any positive-expectancy system as a direct function of using
correct
>     position sizing. Risking too large a portion of trading
capital per
>     position will eventually cause even the most profitable
trading
>     system to fail.
>
>     The second advantage to developing your own position-sizing
strategy
>     is to preserve trading capital during periods of extended
drawdown
>     or losing trades. This saves you the money to trade when
things
>     finally turn around. Unfortunately, many traders inadvertently
lose
>     their hard-earned trading capital as a result of improper
position
>     sizing. This becomes painfully obvious when they have risked
too
>     much capital over an extended series of losing trades.
>
>     I developed an effective money management algorithm using
Excel 5.0.
>     It is based on the theory of using volatility-derived stop-
losses as
>     a logical method to allocate capital. The logic behind using a
>     volatility-based stop compared with a fixed-dollar stop is
that the
>     volatility-based stop can dynamically adjust to changes in a
stock's
>     recent price noise. This contrasts to trading with a fixed-
dollar
>     stop, which ignores volatility by forcing the placement of an
>     externally derived, subjective stop without considering the
>     underlying trade's true character.
>
>     As an example, assume stock XYZ has traded within a range of
>     $12 per share over the last 14 days, with an average price
during
>     that time of $11 per share and a standard deviation of $2. A
stop-
>     loss could be placed at the time of entry such that it is so
far
>     away that it will never be touched except during rare events
which
>     cannot be predicted in advance.   A stop loss is the core of
any
>     system.  If the stop is vulnerable, so is the entire system.
The
>     stop loss could be moved when making profits, representing
twice the
>     standard deviation of $2 per share if it has been determined
that
>     the trend has caught up or if it has been determined that the
trend
>     has not been caught up, then move the stop loss to entry
point.
>     Setting the stop at this $4 per share risk acts as a useful
proxy of
>     the stock's recent two-week normal price fluctuations. A stop-
loss
>     placed at this level is now less likely to suffer whipsaw
losses
>     solely because of a stock's normal price volatility.
>
>     My algorithm allows a portfolio to grow at an above-average
rate of
>     return while consistently controlling risk. You should examine
the
>     assumptions inherent in my model and make changes in the
values to
>     reflect your own overall risk tolerance and trading philosophy
>
>     My algorithm is based on the following personal assumptions:
>
>     1 The maximum number of open positions is limited to 15/per
major
>     sector (Equity instruments, Interest Rate Sensitive
instruments, FX
>     and Commodity futures).
>
>     2. Assuming that your PRRR > 10.0 and %wins of your system is
>     atleast 50%, the absolute maximum % of closed equity to risk
per
>     trade/major sector is 50% for 1 position, 25% for 2 positions,
>     16.67% for 3 positions etc.,.. all the way to 3.34% for 15
>     positions/major sector.
>
>     By the way the optimal trade-size should be 50% (not 25%) of
the
>     capital risked for 1 position in the portfolio which is what
the
>     optimum kelly criterion approaches for systems which have a
>     Portfolio Risk Reward Ratio (PRRR) > 10 and %wins > 50. The
maximum
>     % for the portfolio decreases to 25% for 2 positions, 16.67%
for 3
>     positions, and all the way to 3.34% for 15 positions. Again,
the
>     exact percentage depends on the PRRR and the %wins
(Expectancy) of
>     your system.
>
>     rgds, Pal
>
>     --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ed nl" <ed2000nl@xxxx>
wrote:
>     > hi,
>     >
>     > you are obviously very knowledgeable but the problem I have
with
>     your posts is that it feels like I am reading out of one of
these
>     trading books where they claim to exactly know how to make
good
>     profits and explain it in a very lengthy way and in the end
when I
>     ploughed all through it I ask myself ..... what have I been
reading
>     and haven't I been reading this before in some other book and
what
>     did I learn? Can I use what he is saying? No actually not.
>     >
>     > All over the place you can read about the fact that money
>     management is the trick to increase your profits
substantially. In
>     Ralph Vince his book I liked the example of the coin and what
amount
>     (25%) of your capital you have to risk each time you place a
bet
>     (the Kelly principle). All this leading to Optimal f  but for
>     trading with stocks I haven't found a use for it.  In my
simple mind
>     I believe one simply has to have good timing skills but I
would be
>     very happy to be convinced otherwise.
>     >
>     > Since you understand money management maybe you can explain
what
>     you mean by it (optimal f or do you just mean that you don't
put all
>     your money in 1 bet :) ). Maybe you could give a simple
example why
>     for instance Optimal f would transform a marginally winning
stock
>     trading system into a supersystem. I just don't see it. If you
come
>     with concrete examples that make sense (I don't mind if you
just
>     copied them from one of your books) I will be very happy to
read it.
>     >
>     > Maybe you can help me with this simple example: I trade
Nasdaq 100