  From: Pal Anand
  To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 11:39 AM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Awesome trading system

  Hi Ed,

  Betting the farm. Let's be realistic. Not every trade is going to be
  a winner. Here is a simple rule for you to remember. Never risk more
  than 50% of your account equity for your total active portfolio
  positions including new positions assuming that your Portfolio
  Reward Risk Ratio (PRRR) is greater than 10.0 and the %wins of your
  system is atleast 50%. When I was trading in Chicago I heard for the
  first time about the "RIO TRADE". Simply put, you take a huge
  position in the market. If it works out, you are a hero and rich. If
  you lose, you leave home and head for Brazil never to be heard from
  again. Remember, NEVER BET THE FARM ON ANY ONE POSITION.

  When you hear of someone making a huge killing in the market on a
  relatively small trading account, more likely than not it was a
  fluke: The trader was not using sound money management techniques.
  The trader probably exposed his trading account to obscene risk due
  to an abnormally large trade size. The trader may have just gotten
  lucky and experienced a profit windfall. Trading like this means
  it's just a matter of time before huge losses dwarf the wins, and
  the trader is devastated emotionally and financially.

  Money management in trading involves specialized techniques combined
  with your own judgment. Not adhering to a sound money management
  program can find you exposed to a deadly risk of ruin, and, worst of
  all, most probable equity bust. Keeping this in mind, you may find a
  few essential money management techniques can make a big difference
  to your bottom line. Here are some things to remember when it comes
  to money management.

  CALCULATING PROPER TRADE SIZE

  If you are trading the exact same number of shares or contracts on
  every trade, you may not be calculating the proper trade size for
  your own risk tolerance. Trade size can vary from trade to trade
  because your entries, stops, and account size are constantly
  changing variables.

  To help reduce your risk exposure, the first step is for you to
  believe you need this sort of program. Usually, this belief comes
  from suffering a few large losses that make you want to change. This
  kind of experience can enable you to see how the wrong trade size
  and lack of discipline can sabotage your trading results.

  Calculating proper trade size is a relatively simple process and can
  ultimately reward you with greater profits and more efficient risk
  control. I calculate the maximum trade size using a proprietary
  algorithm.

  Sorting out the criteria for a coherent money management plan is a
  complex, detailed job. Using a spreadsheet to keep track of the
  logic helps ensure nothing has been omitted.

  With a little planning, you can develop a logically sound money
  management system. Historically, too much emphasis has been placed
  on the development of profitable entry and exit rules, whereas the
  determination of the proper number of contracts or shares to trade
  has been treated as a distant afterthought.

  An individualized money management algorithm (using a spreadsheet
  program such as Microsoft Excel) will control the equity growth of
  any positive-expectancy system as a direct function of using correct
  position sizing. Risking too large a portion of trading capital per
  position will eventually cause even the most profitable trading
  system to fail.

  The second advantage to developing your own position-sizing strategy
  is to preserve trading capital during periods of extended drawdown
  or losing trades. This saves you the money to trade when things
  finally turn around. Unfortunately, many traders inadvertently lose
  their hard-earned trading capital as a result of improper position
  sizing. This becomes painfully obvious when they have risked too
  much capital over an extended series of losing trades.

  I developed an effective money management algorithm using Excel 5.0.
  It is based on the theory of using volatility-derived stop-losses as
  a logical method to allocate capital. The logic behind using a
  volatility-based stop compared with a fixed-dollar stop is that the
  volatility-based stop can dynamically adjust to changes in a stock's
  recent price noise. This contrasts to trading with a fixed-dollar
  stop, which ignores volatility by forcing the placement of an
  externally derived, subjective stop without considering the
  underlying trade's true character.

  As an example, assume stock XYZ has traded within a range of $10 to
  $12 per share over the last 14 days, with an average price during
  that time of $11 per share and a standard deviation of $2. A stop-
  loss could be placed at the time of entry such that it is so far
  away that it will never be touched except during rare events which
  cannot be predicted in advance.   A stop loss is the core of any
  system.  If the stop is vulnerable, so is the entire system.  The
  stop loss could be moved when making profits, representing twice the
  standard deviation of $2 per share if it has been determined that
  the trend has caught up or if it has been determined that the trend
  has not been caught up, then move the stop loss to entry point.
  Setting the stop at this $4 per share risk acts as a useful proxy of
  the stock's recent two-week normal price fluctuations. A stop-loss
  placed at this level is now less likely to suffer whipsaw losses
  solely because of a stock's normal price volatility.

  My algorithm allows a portfolio to grow at an above-average rate of
  return while consistently controlling risk. You should examine the
  assumptions inherent in my model and make changes in the values to
  reflect your own overall risk tolerance and trading philosophy

  My algorithm is based on the following personal assumptions:

  1 The maximum number of open positions is limited to 15/per major
  sector (Equity instruments, Interest Rate Sensitive instruments, FX
  and Commodity futures).

  2. Assuming that your PRRR > 10.0 and %wins of your system is
  atleast 50%, the absolute maximum % of closed equity to risk per
  trade/major sector is 50% for 1 position, 25% for 2 positions,
  16.67% for 3 positions etc.,.. all the way to 3.34% for 15
  positions/major sector.

  By the way the optimal trade-size should be 50% (not 25%) of the
  capital risked for 1 position in the portfolio which is what the
  optimum kelly criterion approaches for systems which have a
  Portfolio Risk Reward Ratio (PRRR) > 10 and %wins > 50. The maximum
  % for the portfolio decreases to 25% for 2 positions, 16.67% for 3
  positions, and all the way to 3.34% for 15 positions. Again, the
  exact percentage depends on the PRRR and the %wins (Expectancy) of
  your system.

  rgds, Pal

  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ed nl" <ed2000nl@xxxx> wrote:
  > hi,
  >
  > you are obviously very knowledgeable but the problem I have with
  your posts is that it feels like I am reading out of one of these
  trading books where they claim to exactly know how to make good
  profits and explain it in a very lengthy way and in the end when I
  ploughed all through it I ask myself ..... what have I been reading
  and haven't I been reading this before in some other book and what
  did I learn? Can I use what he is saying? No actually not.

  > All over the place you can read about the fact that money
  management is the trick to increase your profits substantially. In
  Ralph Vince his book I liked the example of the coin and what amount
  (25%) of your capital you have to risk each time you place a bet
  (the Kelly principle). All this leading to Optimal f  but for
  trading with stocks I haven't found a use for it.  In my simple mind
  I believe one simply has to have good timing skills but I would be
  very happy to be convinced otherwise.

  > Since you understand money management maybe you can explain what
  you mean by it (optimal f or do you just mean that you don't put all
  your money in 1 bet :) ). Maybe you could give a simple example why
  for instance Optimal f would transform a marginally winning stock
  trading system into a supersystem. I just don't see it. If you come
  with concrete examples that make sense (I don't mind if you just
  copied them from one of your books) I will be very happy to read it.

  > Maybe you can help me with this simple example: I trade Nasdaq 100
  stocks. My capital I divide in portions of 5% per trade. It is a
  swing system of which 60% of the time I win. On average the winners
  are the same as the losers in percent. What money management should
  I now use to make this sytem increase it's profits more rapidly.