Re: [amibroker] Re: Awesome trading system

heeeee, I remember these never ending posts not so long ago that claimed mechanical systems with profits of a few 100% a year or was it a few 100% a day. Now you have become a position trader ?? wow !!!! Wonder how much they make!

ed
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Pal Anand
  To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 7:48 AM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Awesome trading system

  Any day trading system, however awesome, discretionary or
  mechanical, can ultimately by defeated by a superior position
  trading system, discretionary or mechanical.  Short-term profits
  leads to long-term ruin.  In this case, it is the virtue of patience
  combined with solid money-management techniques that makes the
  position trading system far superior to any day-trading system, in
  general.  The free-market is ruled by those who can see and plan
  long-range; the better the mind, the longer the range of planning.
  If you need, just ask Mr. Warren Buffet for a confirmation of that...

  rgds, Pal
  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Geo Singleman" <geosing@xxxx>
  wrote:
  > I don't use any AFL other than automatically drawing the pivot
  range and the
  > A UP and A Down lines. I doubt it can be made mechanical because
  there are
  > no precise entry triggers. As in everything in trading, there are
  no
  > absolutes. e.g. After a good A Up, price can still go through the
  opening
  > range and end up at the low of the day. A mechanical system would
  get you in
  > and stop you out every single time in such cases.
  >
  > ACD is a daytrading system, suitable only for liquid and volatile
  markets
  > which have good daily range. I doubt you can trade such markets in
  > mechanical fashion, but that may be due to my lack of knowledge
  about
  > mechanical systems.
  >
  > Geo

  Scott
  > > referenced, admittedly without studying it in great depth.
  However, I
  > > found the explanations so convoluted and confusing as to have
  limited
  > > usefulness. I guess if you really wanted to learn the system,
  you'd have
  > > to buy Fisher's book, which I am not adverse to doing. When I
  get a
  > > chance some time, maybe I'll do that. Thank you, George, for your
  > > explanation. I prefer totally mechanical systems, especially
  since I
  > > have a full-time job, unable to watch the monitor all day to make
  > > discretionary decisions. I'll keep this reference handy for the
  > > not-too-distant day when I retire. The system looks promising,
  and I'm
  > > glad to hear you are successful using it. Have you developed
  entry and
  > > exit code in afl yet? Do you think it could be made into a fully
  > > mechanical system without discretionary decision-making?
  > >
  > > Regards,
  > >
  > > Al Venosa
  > >
  > > Geo Singleman wrote:
  > >
  > > > It is not a system, it is a methodology, for which credit goes
  to Mark
  > > > Fisher, who is a NyMex energy trader/local and has a clearing
  > > > operation for
  > > > energy futures. The methodology called ACD is explained in his
  book -
  > The
  > > > Logical Trader.
  > > >
  > > > It is a simple Opening Range breakout system with additional
  nuances
  > based
  > > > on daily pivot ranges.
  > > > Simply stated, it  is as follows:
  > > > On a good A Up, your bias is on the bullish side and you go
  long.
  > > > Good A Up is when the price trades for at least half the time
  used for
  > > > determining the opening range. e.g. if 15 minute OR, then
  price must
  > > > trading
  > > > certain number of ticks above OR High for 7.5 minutes for it
  to be a
  > > > good A
  > > > UP. Same with A Down, where you get a bearish bias and must
  think short.
  > > > There are other layers such daily pivot range and price
  behavior at or
  > > > through the pivot range. The OR time period and the offset
  depends on
  > the
  > > > tradable and its volatility profile.
  > > >
  > > > I trade this method and make a living at it. It is not
  mechanical  and
  > > > a lot
  > > > of discretion is involved in determining trade locations and
  size. What
  > it
  > > > does give you is a way to define the risk so that you have a
  clear
  > trading
  > > > plan - especially if and when the market proves you wrong.
  > > >
  > > > Geo

  buy/sell/short/cover