RE: [amibroker] OT- Optimization

Hello Joe,

There have been discussions on how to upgrade hardware to increase code
executions however my personal experience is that "cleaning" up and
"Sreamlining" the code is far more effective than upgrading hardware... but
i agree that it is less fun to do :-) A simple memory upgrade will however
help.

If you have nine variables you have to determine whether these variables
have any synergy, the question to ask is whether there is interaction
between all of them. If so you have no choice but to perform a brute force
nine-variable optimization. If some variables have an independent effect on
system performance then you can run those separately, one at a time. I think
you can optimize variables separately with some additional coding if need
be - can't put my fingers on that code right now.

Some instructions take longer then others, you may be able to reduce
execution time identifying where the time goes. You can do this using
DebugView, it allows you to measure the relative time it takes to process a
certain piece of code. Finding the processing bottleneck may help you to
make that part of the code more efficient.

If you read many arrays from disk that you may want to read them just once
and store them in dynamic variables. These can be read faster than reading
from disk. I remember a case not too long ago where doing that reduced
execution time nearly a hundred times.

Without knowing you code it is difficult to give specific help, but the
above should help you bring the time down quite a bit.

have fun,
herman