[amibroker] Re: OT: Shorts vs Longs (Yuki please)

>>Sure, there are successful and good short traders. It's just that
the ones I know are always in and out of therapy, and they often have
really annoying nervous ticks, stutters, or other socially
undesirable traits. (^_-) My life is much more relaxed, I think.<<

I hhave found the ssssame ph..ph..phenomenom YYuki....
NNow trading sh..short term 2-5 dddays....

Feeling alot better.
Roflmao! (^_-)

Regards
Jim

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki Taga <yukitaga@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Herman,
>
> Friday, September 24, 2004, 7:18:11 PM, you wrote:
>
> HvdB> What do you think about trading shorts in RealTime/Intraday?
>
> Timing is everything.  But short timing is more difficult, IMO.  As
> long as you define your risk and stick to it though, fine.  And as
> long as your potential dwarfs your risk, or your probability is high
> enough to compensate.  This dual requirement eliminates a lot of
> trades of course, but that is exactly as it should be.
>
> HvdB>  It seems that if we reduce the trade duration to the intraday
> HvdB> level (minutes to hours, no overnite holds) and we are
watching
> HvdB> the trade in real time, that there is little risk in going
> HvdB> short. Also some of the ETFs appear quite safe. Do you also
> HvdB> trade Intraday?
>
> I do a little intraday trading, but almost always I hold a bit
> longer.  But I no longer build huge positions and hold them long
> term, like I once did.  But very little in and out the same day.
Very
> little. I just don't find risk:reward I'm happy with very often
> intraday. Often, I can find the *monetary* risk:reward, but not the
> *probability*, or vice versa. I don't often find them coexisting
> intraday.  Part of that may simply be because we have two very
> *short* intraday periods here: 2 hours before lunch, and 2 1/2 hours
> after a 90 minute break.  Sometimes, they are more like two separate
> days than a single day.
>
> HvdB> Theoretically i feel that if my timing is correct I should be
> HvdB> able to reverse each trade,
>
> Well, theoretically . . . ^^_^^ if your timing is right.  But
> reversing every trade is a fool's errand, IMHO.  We don't sell only
> because we are sure the market is about to turn down.  We sell when
> we are reducing risk (partial liquidation to try and ensure break
> even or better on an initial position), and we sell when the
> expectation of further gain comes with a greater risk:reward ratio
> than the original entry, or at least a greater risk:reward ratio
than
> we are willing to now accept. Selling doesn't mean we always
*expect*
> a tradable decline. And even when a tradable decline comes, often
you
> have to be as agile as a cat to get it.  Less agility is needed on
> the long side, IMO.
>
> HvdB>  however i don't stick to that... i enter on signals but exit
> HvdB> before my exit signal most of the time (never capturing the
> HvdB> entire price move). This for two reasons: 1) I hate losing
even
> HvdB> small profits 2) it gives me more time to
enter/modify/transmit
> HvdB> order lines. btw, i don't trade stocks <$5.
>
> Nobody captures the entire move.  Nobody.  So don't worry about
that.
> But taking the small profits to avoid the small losses is a
> prescription to mediocrity at best, or ruin at worst.  It is how I
> started trading many long years ago, and it simply doesn't work.
> Fortunately I realized and accepted that very quickly, and I changed
> my ways.  One of the big changes was learning to actually play
> *through* the initial profit target with a portion of the position.
> It is impossible to hit a home run without doing that, of course.
>
> You must define a risk that you can live with, and then accept that
> risk to its full jeopardy when you enter a trade. An exception here
> or there is okay, of course -- there are always extenuating
> circumstances.  But if the exceptions start adding up, you are
either
> making weak entries or are unable to reign in your emotions.  Often
> the emotions get in the way when the probabilities and/or rewards
are
> too low.  Of course, if the risk is too high, that will have your
> synapses firing like crazy.  ^^_^^
>
> You define your risk before entering, and you accept it, fully. If
> you cannot hold to it, you are probably not making entries
consistent
> with successful trading, and you might need to look at that.  One
> psychological trick you might try to improve on risk acceptance
> (assuming your entries are indeed okay) is to imagine, before
> entering the trade, that you have lost the entire amount that you
> intend to risk. Really, seriously, try to imagine that it is gone --
> poof -- and that such a result, while not fun, is actually okay.  It
> may help you hold, or it may help you set more realistic risk
> parameters.
>
> My guess might be that, in addition to not liking the small losses,
> you may not be taking trades with large enough profit potentials.
> When serious profit potential is not there (serious at least in
> relation to risk, and combined with a high enough probability of
> course), it's easy to get nervous about small losses. Also, if you
> don't play the winners through to your target (assuming gains and
> probabilities make losing okay), you will have great difficulty ever
> taking enough risk to be successful. Instead of accepting a
necessary
> amount of risk, you'll be bailing out early on both sides of your
> entries, and your broker will love you. At the end of every day
> however, you'll need some serious stress antidote.
>
> The key to the game is taking on risk, and living calmly with it.
And