Re: [amibroker] Redefining OHLC Price arrays

Chrisb,
I see, you put the peak/trough of the parabola at the local price
peak/trough...
I have already posted some attempts, see #65462, 65440, 65437, 65428
of this list, it may help...
Dimitris
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kris45mar <kris45mar@xxxx> wrote:

> Dimitris:
>

> Thank you for your interest in this.
>

> I suppose the parabolic trend line is a bit like all trend lines:
you draw it on the chart and adjust it manually for a "best fit."

> It hasn't taken me long in AB to just flick through my watch list
and eyeball the charts for a parabolic price rise and then just try
and fit the Arc Draw tool.

> I do notice that the Arc Draw tool can be moved and resized a bit
to get the "best fit". I don't suppose that squashing the Arc Draw
tool would alter the basic exponential shape of the curve, but that
is way beyond my maths knowledge. What I mean is, assuming the curve
is constructed on mathematical formula, would the formula change
significantly if one compressed the width of the curve side to side?
If not, fine. If it does then it may make creation of a search
formula less reliable.

> Does this make sense?
>

> It was just an off-hand thought that it might be nice to do a Scan
or Exploration for stocks which have price action which could be
construed to be forming a parabolic curve. This would be based on the
lows of each bar following the exponential curve.

> Another issue if one were able to code this would be : how "exact"
would the fit have to be, or how much leeway or latitude would one
accept in how perfect/imperfect the fit would have to be.

> I guess the problem is that to get the benefit of a short term
rally one needs to be able to identify the parabolic nature of the
trend early enough to be able to take a position, before it becomes
vertical. By definition then when the trend line becomes vertical
this signifies the end of the trend, and it's time to get out,
because after that prices correct downwards rather quickly.

> There do seem to be a number of these patterns in the ASX market.
>
> I am not sure if this would be seen in other markets: human nature
being the same world wide, I would expect other markets to also
exhibit this pattern.

> Here are some examples from today's market in Australia that fit
the parabolic curve (see attached annotations)…

> http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~kris.mar/AWP.png
>
> http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~kris.mar/BBG.png
>
> http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~kris.mar/CDO.png
>
> http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~kris.mar/CEP.png
>
> http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~kris.mar/IFL.png
>

> I hope you can access these: if not I can email them to you.
>

> Regards
>

> Chrisb
>

> DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS <TSOKAKIS@xxxx> wrote:chrisb,
> Is it possible to describe, in words, what do you want to do ?
> It is not hard to write parabolic lines in AFL but we need some
> additional info.
> Example: There is only one straight line through two points, but
> there are many circles/parabolas/ellipses. For these [2nd degree
> lines] we need one more info [a third point, a radius, a ratio,
some
> curvature etc.]
> Dimitris
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kris45mar <kris45mar@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > for anyone interested:
> >
> > Marcin tells me to just use the ARC drawing tool and this does
> indeed work well with a bit of fiddling.
> >
> > Have a look see.
> >
> > Now, wouldn't it be nice to do a search based on this?
> >
> > chrisb

> Check AmiBroker web page at:
> http://www.amibroker.com/
>
> Check group FAQ at:
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.