Re: [amibroker] Help with Error Message

Hi Terry,

T> Yuki,

T> Your Excel file can be saved as a normal Excel file and the macro can be
T> modified to automatically SaveAs a .csv before importing.

This is exactly what Graham is trying to help me with.  Exactly.

But here in a nutshell is my problem, that I don't know how to solve:

If I record a macro of the act of saving a file from an xls file
(macro capable) to a csv file (macro incapable), I guess I lose the
macro, because the file is saved in a format that cannot contain a
macro.  See my problem?

Here is what I'm looking to automate as much as possible:

(copy of partial mail I sent to Graham on this)

The idea of course is to save as much time and keystrokes as
possible.  But, the most time consuming part of the operation is
hitting Save As, then scrolling through the myriad Excel file type
choices, finally selecting CSV.

Worse, there are a lot of popup dialogs when all this happens. First,
an "overwrite ok?" popup (I'd usually be overwriting the csv file).
Then, an "okay to give up incompatible formatting?" dialog.  And
until one actually *closes* the csv file, AB gives a shared-file
error on import attempt.

Now, here is a really odd thing: To close this newly overwritten csv
file, one we just agreed to overwrite and give up formatting on, we
must now go through the same two dialog routines again.  Aggravating!

So, to be as clear as I can about this, the following procedure needs
to be automated as best as possible:

1) Save as
2) Scroll down the file type list to CSV files
3) Agree to an overwrite pop up dialog
4) Agree to a "give up incompatible formatting" pop up dialog
5) Close the cvs file (or close Excel) which means . . .
6) Agree to save changes (weird, but yes, every time)
7) Agree to "give up formatting" (why this duplication?)
8) Now we are finally good for AB to import

I would love to be able to handle the first 7 steps with a macro, but
I can't figure out how to do it.  ^_^

I guess I could (if I was capable) create this macro externally from
the file, and save it.  But I would not know how to write the thing.
The only way I could do this is record it, and that doesn't seem to
work.

Yuki