  From: seneca_kw [mailto:wellswellskw@xxxxxxx]
  Sent: 13 August 2004 06:02
  To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Candle colour

  Tony, you might want to double check how Metastock does it because it
  really doesn't sound right to me.  Unlike bar charts, in candle
  charts the only way to tell at a glance whether a day is up or down
  is by the color of the candle.  In the scheme you described, ALL
  candles that failed to rise above the previous close would be colored
  as "down" candles regardless of whether the open is above or below
  the close.  That doesn't seem to make sense.

  Take a stock that gaps down $5.00 overnight. The next day it rises
  $4.00 from open to close.  In the format you described (if I've
  understood you correctly), the candle would be black for a down day
  since it never got above the previous close. Even more confusing, if
  the stock gapped down $1, then fell another $4.00 the next day, the
  candle would be identical to the previous candle, even though the
  first one rose $4 during the day and the second one fell $4.

  Good luck, Wayne

  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tony Meskill" <tmeskill@xxxx>
  wrote:
  > Hi Wane
  >
  > I have been using Metastock for 2+ years now, and that was the
  default used.
  > I assumed it was the standard as it makes most sense to me, come to
  think of
  > it even the CNBC tickers use yesterdays close as the reference.
  >
  > Tony

  Check group FAQ at: