From: Yuki Taga [mailto:yukitaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 1:09 PM
To: Graham
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Attn: Stefan F (Was: Heads up with XP SP-2 and
Metastock Downloader)

Hi Graham,

G> Yuki, can you make the data into a text file (csv) by copy/paste
G> and import this to AB. Should be relatively easy to do with excel
G> to create the right format from your data source.

More than anything, Graham, is simply the awkwardness with which
manual updates have to be accomplished via the QE.  I think a lot
more people than perhaps is commonly suspected update a fair amount
of data by hand. I'd really like an AB tool that opens a smallish
window that can be placed over my trading screen or other data
source, and which can save data to a local AB database.  (Can this
really be that difficult to make?  It's a database reader and writer
is all.)

I'd really like to move away from MS data, period. I don't use MS any
longer. But, AB has no comfortable way to update manually -- I'm
talking about symbol-by-symbol from a trading screen or other screen
source. The data has to either be in your head, or you have to
perform screen gymnastics to get the job done -- gymnastics that
require AB's toolbars to be constantly repositioned, because they
refuse to stay where they are positioned when AB changes its screen
shape, and/or gymnastics that require a resizing of the trading
screen.

A small applet external to AB (if it *needs* to be external) that can
read and write to a local AB database is all that is needed.  The
original Equis people had the right idea when they made the DL. It
should be external to the T/A application, so that it can be
positioned anywhere.  Source data that is going to be input does not
already exist inside the T/A application. It is external, and needs
to be accessed with the T/A app out of the way.  If I could MINIMIZE
AB while the QE was open, I'd be in heaven I think.  ^_^  But the
damn QE window won't give up the focus, except to an external
program.

The QE is fine for a once in a while touch up.  It is not fine for
larger manual updating, and until someone comes up with a *perfect*
data source (I'm talking "I get a free year of data for every single
error I can document" kind of perfect), that is what I intend to
continue to do -- manually update.  It's my money, and I don't trust
anyone but me to do the really important data.  It takes me a little
longer to do it, but I know it's done, and done accurately.

Best,

Yuki

Check group FAQ at: