RE: [amibroker] Osaka plugin crash loading saved table with > 128 columns (not an AB bug)

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: Osaka plugin crash loading saved table with > 128 columns (not an AB bug)
  • From: "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS" <TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:59:49 -0700

Stephane,
An old problem is solved.
Tomasz explained how GetCategorySymbols work and, with the use of
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/message/65623, we may
have the same results as AddToComposite() gives.
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stephane Carrasset"
<s.carrasset@xxxx> wrote:
> hello, you're right ami crashes if nb colums are > 128,
> but as osaka gives the source code, it is possible to increase the
number of colum, this plugin allows until 256 colums

> stephane

Osaka, the
>   author of the Osaka plugin. If anyone does, please pass this
along to him.
>   Osaka seems like a great tool, and a fix for this would be great.
>
>   Since I'm posting this publicly, I'd also like to make sure
nobody thinks of
>   this as a bug in AmiBroker. It's clearly a bug in Osaka, an
*uncertified*,
>   *third-party* *plugin* for AB, not a problem with AB itself.
>
>   -----
>
>   The Osaka release notes say that version 1.0.4 added the capacity
for an
>   unlimited number of columns; previously there was a limit of 128.
However,
>   it appears that loading a saved table with more than 128 columns
crashes.

>   The code below should be explored against a smallish watchlist,
say 20
>   symbols. It creates and saves a table while the first stock is
being
>   processed, and instead of recreating it for subsequent stocks,
loads it from
>   disk. The idea is that if lots of processing was required to
create the
>   table (unlike this simple test), it'd only have to be done once
for the
>   whole test run.
>
>   In my testing, if NumberOfTestColumns is more than 128, it's
crash city. If
>   you comment out the osTabLoad (and the 'else' before it), there's
no crash
>   with higher numbers of columns, but you can see in the
exploration results
>   that the table has no columns after the first stock, since none
were added.

>   If anyone gets different results than this, or knows of a later
Osaka
>   release that fixes this problem, please let me know. I'm using
Osaka 1.0.4,
>   AB 4.57.0 beta, Windows 2000.
>
>   Dave Merrill
>
>   ----------------------
>
>   // CONFIG
>   ListNum = 30; // watchlist to examine; must be list under test
>   NumberOfTestColumns = 128; // more than 128 crashes
>
>   // FUNCTIONS
>   function fListLen(List) {
>         i = 0;
>         while(StrExtract(List, i) != "") i++;
>         return i;
>   }
>
>   // init
>   TickerList = GetCategorySymbols(categoryWatchlist, ListNum);
>   CountTickers = fListLen(TickerList);
>   StockNum = Status("StockNum");
>   FirstStock = (StockNum == 0);
>
>   // init table, make col for ea bar in test
>   osInitialize();
>   table = osTabCreate();
>   if(FirstStock) {
>         for(i = 1; i <= NumberOfTestColumns; i++) {
>               osTabAddColumn("test" + i, 1, table);
>         }
>   } else {
>   }
>
>   ColCount = osTabGetColumnCount(table);
>
>   Filter = Status("LastBarInTest");;
>   AddColumn(ColCount, "ColCount", 1.0);
>   AddColumn(StockNum, "StockNum", 1.0);
>   AddColumn(CountTickers, "CountTickers", 1.0);
>   AddColumn(table, "table", 1.0);
>
>   // clean up
>   osTabDelete(table);
>

>   Check AmiBroker web page at: