[amibroker] Re: The French Curve a new secret weapon?

Hello,

First you should really read TUTORIAL and use METASTOCK PLUGIN
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_extsources.html
to read MS database directly (so you don't need to reimport all the time).

Reading all tutorial sections is a first thing a new user should do.

Second thing is understanding categories.
Categories are NOT folders (like in Windows Explorer)

The difference is fundamental.
In the explorer file appears (usually) only once in the given
tree leaf.
In the workspace symbol tree given symbol appears multiple times because
it appears in every category leaf to which it belongs to
even if this is the same symbol and only it exists only as single
entity.

One symbol belongs to MANY categories at the same time.
For example
AAPL (Apple Inc.)
will belong
"Stocks" group category
"Nasdaq" market category
"Information" sector category
"Comp-Computer Mfg" industry category
and may also
belong to
several watch lists and favorites category

ALL at the same time.
That's why ONE symbol will appear in many leaves of the symbol tree.

Now if you delete the SYMBOL it will of course disappear from ALL categories
because you have deleted the SYMBOL.

There are two types of categories:
1. with mutualy exclusive membership: groups, markets, sectors/industries
  - it means that symbol MUST belong to ONE group ONE market and ONE sector/industry at a time
  you can move the symbol from one group/market/sector/industry to another but you can not
  remove this assignment - create "Unassigned" group/market/sector/industry instead.

2. with free membership: watch lists/favorites/indexes
   - it means that a symbol may belong to ANY number (including zero) of watch lists (and to favorite/index category too)
  In this case you can remove this assignment by Watch List->Remove

Watch lists are covered in detail in the User's Guide:
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_watchlist.html

(the same is available when you press F1 from AmiBroker)

Third thing:
if you use "DELETE" button in Symbol->Categories
it displays the warning:
"This will delete selected symbols FROM THE DATABASE".

Again: it will delete FROM THE DATABASE, not from the category.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com