Re: [amibroker] Formatting DateNum

On Sunday, 16 of May 2004 21:41, Thomas Zmuck wrote:
> Hello Marek,
>
> I have also thought about to switch to Linux.
>
> Are there tools for linux with that I can run windows programs good ?
> I have tried linux about 2 years ago and I have also tried win??

Now Linux distributions are completely not the same products as they were 2
years ago. Try SuSE, my favorite disto for many years. You can start with FTP
version (9.0) because it is free. However for the first time I recommend to
buy a box (fresh 9.1). There are no major difference between them but box
version offers books. In term of software they are almost the same. Also you
will love it because it is a good German product.
http://www.suse.de/de/index.html

you find ftp version here:
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/9.0

> But unfortunately it was very complicated and not userfriendly.

Pease read my message to the group:

1. As you know there are three options:
a/ have a native windows partition and Amibroker installed there. AB is then
launched by wine - there we almost no problems with it BUT you have to have a
windows partition :-)
b/ install Amibroker on fake_windows via wine - I coudn't get it to work
c/ use CodeWeavers' wine version - commercial but you can also install other
popular windows only software (MS Office, Lotus, etc) - THIS IS THE BEST
OPTION RIGHT NOW

> What are the most important reasons for you to switch to Linux ?

Some years ago, as a student, I was developing Minix, the education unix-like
system - that one that was a reason for Linus to code its own operating
system.

After some years I discovered that Linux world does have thousand of great
software and all (or almost all) are free.

Also I love to have everythink under control. Distros currently available
require little user knowledge about computers but if you would like to modify
config files manually - there are no barriers.

> Do you have a link with software for linux, also payable software ?

Most of the staff you get with distro. Sometimes some specific software is
required than the best option is to find a rpm package:
http://rpmfind.net/
or directly by google founding developer's site.

> Thanks for your informations !

Please let me know if you require more info. There would be honour for me to
help anyone on this list.

Regards,
--
Marek Chlopek