From: treliff [mailto:treliff@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 8:47 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Q. re. AddToComposite execution time

I am running a pretty intense AddToComposite scan on a collection of
stock options. Within this scan there are (so far, I'm only just
beginning) 30 separate ATC statements that will create hundreds of
artificial tickers. I interrupted the scan with some 97 minutes to
go...

I then split the formula into two scans of 15 ATC's each (but
running over the same collection of issues) and it turned out each
separate scan takes about one minute. I drilled down a bit further
and discovered that 16 statements also take about one minute but as
soon as I add the 17th execution time jumps to 44 minutes (I
actually let this scan run for about ten minutes to make sure the
estimated remaining time was indeed correct) .

Of course 17 is no magic number here, all will depend on the #
issues scanned, the complexity of the formulas and PC power. The
heart of the matter is:

- is there an explanation for these "jumps" in execution
time, and
- is there a setting I can change in my PC so it will be able to
handle a larger scan?

Thanks for your advice.

-treliff